Honored Contributor

Re: Balela Salad: Delicious & Vegan

Olive Oil Does Not Cause Weight Gain and Obesity 

Eating fat does not make you fat, and olive oil is no exception.

Numerous studies have linked Mediterranean dietary patterns, rich in olive oil, with favorable effects on body weight.

In a 2.5 year study of more than 7000 Spanish college students, consuming a lot of olive oil was not linked to increased weight.

In other words, high intake of olive oil is not linked with weight gain or obesity in observational studies.

A 3-year study in 187 participants found that a diet rich in olive oil increased levels of antioxidants in the blood and caused weight loss.

Bottom Line: Consuming large amounts of olive oil does not appear to increase the likelihood of weight gain. It may even be beneficial for weight loss.

(Same source as above)

Trusted Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Toppers3 wrote:

Thanks for your post, @IamMrsG.

I love the taste of olive oil in dressings.

To me, it has a rich flavor with a slightly earthy taste. Yum!

I think that it's one of the healthiest oils that we can use in a recipe. It's my favorite oil when used in a cold pasta-type of a salad, too. 

Hi @Toppers3

I wanted to update you regarding the salad recipe.  Today I made a sandwich with my usual Sara Lee 45 calorie bread, spread my favorite hummus on one side and then put the salad on top of that. 

It was a nice surprise that none of the salad pieces rolled out, they adhered to the hummus and it was delicious!

Hi @Noel7,

Thanks for sharing that idea regarding your salad recipe.

That sounds like a good idea!

Thanks too for contributing the info. about olive oil. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Noel7 wrote: @IamMrsG  THANK YOU.

I agree with you about the benefit of olive oil, in fact, it is said to be why so many in the Mediterranean area are healthier than most other people.

I appreciate your comments.

You are welcome, but as I said in my post, @Noel7, neither you nor your recipe needed defending.  It just gripes my a** when someone tears down another person’s shared efforts here--particularly when said person contributes nothing but snide comments. Then, when they start spreading false information on top of it, well, my claws come out.

We agree about the risk in following false ‘experts.’  I can just as easily copy and paste material from a scientist who claims that when Adam’s rib was used to create Eve, it was done by aliens altering his DNA.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Noel7 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Unfortunately, oils are processed foods.

Whole food Olives are full vitamins, minerals, fiber.  Eat them.

Corn?  Sure!

Nuts?  Go for it.

But to squeeze these whole foods out for just a pinch of oil?

And to say these oils are 'good for you"...just as good as the whole food?

Heavens, the oil companies have hefty sponsors & a sweet marketing team for people to believe that.

Where's the fiber?  It's 100% fat. And, truth be told, offers absolutely zero flavor.  Oils are e.x.t.r.e.m.e.l.y. high, calorie dense processed foods. 

(Info source:  Esselstyn Cleveland Clinic)

@sidsmom

Your knowledge of food and health is usually from one source or another which many consider questionable.  In the past, I have provided you with medical information which had contradicted your claims but you were never interested.

Obviously you can believe whatever you want but you are so often wrong, and this is another of those times.

It's not from 'one source'.

Er uh.......it's on the back of the olive oil bottle.

Flip it & you'll see it's 100% fat calories, like I said.

And unless it's stuffed w/ actual olives, its processed, like I said.

One could have 1 tablespoon of oil fat w/ no texture or flavor

OR

25 whole olives w/ calcium, iron and fiber.

Olive oil vs Actual Olives is like

Orange juice vs Actual Oranges

Worse, really, because oil is 100% fat.

Just eat the olives.

If olive oil is this super magical food item, then just eat the whole olive.

Spoiler alert:  olive oil comes from olives. 

If you want to continue eat processed foods, go for it.

For my health, I choose not to eat those icky processed toxic food items.

IMG_1141.jpg

IMG_1145.jpg

Respected Contributor

I can't handle black beans. Do you think it would work without them.

I was in an NIH study where I had to eat different oils direct from the bottle. Because I didn't gain any weight, the doctor in charge accused me of not being compliant

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom

I suggest you read the information provided which clearly reported olive oil is comprised of good fat, and that research shows it helps prevent heart trouble and does not cause weight gain.

I don't think most people are interested in the fake news and scare tactics you are so fond of.

Honored Contributor

@lavendar wrote:

I can't handle black beans. Do you think it would work without them.

I was in an NIH study where I had to eat different oils direct from the bottle. Because I didn't gain any weight, the doctor in charge accused me of not being compliant

Hi @lavendar

I do think it would work without the black beans.  Do you have trouble with all beans? If not, I would suggest trying white kidney beans if you like those.  I often use the two in bean salad combination.

Gee, I don't think I'd want to consume oil like that.  

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

Noel7 wrote: @IamMrsG  THANK YOU.

I agree with you about the benefit of olive oil, in fact, it is said to be why so many in the Mediterranean area are healthier than most other people.

I appreciate your comments.

You are welcome, but as I said in my post, @Noel7, neither you nor your recipe needed defending.  It just gripes my a** when someone tears down another person’s shared efforts here--particularly when said person contributes nothing but snide comments. Then, when they start spreading false information on top of it, well, my claws come out.

We agree about the risk in following false ‘experts.’  I can just as easily copy and paste material from a scientist who claims that when Adam’s rib was used to create Eve, it was done by aliens altering his DNA.

@IamMrsG

I agree with every point you've made.  It's mind blowing how much misinformation is aggressively pushed.

Respected Contributor

Venus. it wasn't that bad. It was a very serious study on EFA's. I'd gone to a lecture for physicians so they could get their chicken dinners when I worked for the Crohn's & Colitis Foundation. I approached the doctor who spoke and told him I fit the criteria. I did.

Canneloni beans are the only ones I like. I have some fresh grean beans that I might try. They absorb dressings more than most veggies.

Honored Contributor

@lavendar wrote:

Venus. it wasn't that bad. It was a very serious study on EFA's. I'd gone to a lecture for physicians so they could get their chicken dinners when I worked for the Crohn's & Colitis Foundation. I approached the doctor who spoke and told him I fit the criteria. I did.

Canneloni beans are the only ones I like. I have some fresh grean beans that I might try. They absorb dressings more than most veggies.

@lavendar

Then you're in luck, cannellini beans ARE white kidney beans 😀