Valued Contributor

Baklava

My family has always loved Baklava. I've noticed that many recipes are too labor intensive and time consuming. I've tried lots of recipes and this one (I feel) is one of the best! It's a light and flaky phyllo pastry layered with walnuts and/or pistachios and cinnamon covered in a honey based syrup. Plus, it's quick and easy to make. I wanted to share it because the holidays are right around the corner and I think It'll be a lovely addition to your dessert table.

Servings: makes 16+ servings

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes

• Ingredients:
    4 + 1/2 cups walnuts or pistachios or a combination, chopped well (keep 1/2 cup for topping)
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon
  • 1 sticky of unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 pound phyllo pastry, thawed
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 stick cinnamon
    2 tablespoons of rosewater
  • 2 inch slice lemon peel
  • 2 inch slice orange peel

• Directions:
  1. Mix the walnuts, sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.
  2. Brush the bottom of a 9X13 inch pan with butter.
  3. Brush butter onto the top of a sheet of the phyllo dough and place the sheet into the pan. Repeat until there are 8 sheets in the pan.
  4. Sprinkle 1/3 of the walnut mixture onto the phyllo in the pan.
  5. Brush butter onto the top of a sheet of the phyllo dough and place the sheet into the pan. Repeat until there are 2 sheets on top of the nut mixture.
  6. Sprinkle 1/3 of the walnut mixture onto the phyllo in the pan.
  7. Brush butter onto the top of a sheet of the phyllo dough and place the sheet into the pan. Repeat until there are 2 sheets on top of the nut mixture.
  8. Sprinkle 1/3 of the walnut mixture onto the phyllo in the pan.
  9. Brush butter onto the top of a sheet of the phyllo dough and place the sheet into the pan. Repeat until there are 8 sheets on top of the nut mixture.
  10. Slice/score the baklava with a sharp knife (not all the way through) in a diamond pattern
  11. Bake in a preheated 350F oven until golden brown on top, about 25-35 minutes.
  12. Bring the water, sugar, rosewater, cinnamon, lemon peel and orange peel to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Let cool.
  13. Remove the cinnamon, and peels from the syrup.
  14. Pour the syrup over the baklava when it comes out of the oven.
  15. Sprinkle some chopped nuts on top of each 'diamond'
  16. Let the baklava cool for a few hours