Contributor

We are having our Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow and I am making a 15 lb ham. I'm thinking of putting it in the oven tonight, because I have so much other stuff to do tomorrow. Does anyone bake theirs overnight and if so, what temperature do you use? It is a 15 lb. Sugardale semi boneless. Thank you!!

Respected Contributor

Baking it overnight sounds like way too much cooking time. Ham is already cooked, you are not starting with raw meat. The baking is to heat it through.  I would think 3 hours at 325-350 would be enough, but you can Google for more answers. 

Put it in the oven first thing in the morning if you want to do it early.  Good luck, hope your meal turns out well.

Honored Contributor

@lawsrsb91@I have overlooked a ham and it becomes extremely dry.I agree overnight would be too long.

Contributor

I put it in the oven last night around 11:30 at 200 degrees and took it out at 7:30 and glazed it with cranberry glaze and put it back in for an hour. It turned out great.

Honored Contributor

@lawsrsb91 That is very interesting to hear.I might try that sometime.What are you going to do to keep it warm till dinner?

Honored Contributor

I've never baked a ham, they are already cooked. Whenever I get a Honey Baked Ham I serve it at room temperature. It tastes exquisite! 

"Pure Michigan"
Contributor

When I took it out of the oven, I carved it and put it in the fridge. About an hour before I needed it, I took it out and put back in the oven for around 30 minutes.

Respected Contributor

wow. cranberry glaze that sounds really good,

Honored Contributor

In the 60's, my mom always cooked a fresh ham for Christmas.   We raised hogs, and killed them close to Thanksgiving, so one ham was saved to cook for Christmas.   The ham was cooked low and slow overnight, then rested on the butcher block cutting board for slicing, and was served at room temperature.   The ham was warmed in a covered skillet if we had it for other meals.    

Valued Contributor

I know someone who always heats up their ham by wrapping it in foil and putting it in a crockpot.