Honored Contributor

Re: Baking Muffins + Oil Used???

@m0rgan wrote:

I love to use coconut oil.

@m0rgan 

I tried coconut oil in my blueberry muffins. They were good but day after they were soggy on top. May be I need to use less of it.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

i always use butter and have never found mine to be crumbly or dry.

@sunshine45 

I will have to try the blueberry & banana muffin recipes with kerrygold butter to see how they turn out. I will have to do some experimenting.

Honored Contributor

I usually use vegetable oil, but I have substituted applesauce with excellent results.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz--I don't bake anymore--can't eat the carbs--- but I use olive oil and or avocado oil when I do any cooking. You can get avo oil at Traders Joes--has a nice buttery flavor. Heard Macadamia oil is great too but very pricy. Not sure how it would do in baking--but when I used it it was fine. How about coconut oil too? 

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

@Nightowlz--I don't bake anymore--can't eat the carbs--- but I use olive oil and or avocado oil when I do any cooking. You can get avo oil at Traders Joes--has a nice buttery flavor. Heard Macadamia oil is great too but very pricy. Not sure how it would do in baking--but when I used it it was fine. How about coconut oil too? 

@wagirl 

Thanks but we don't have a Trader Joes around here.

I will look around to see if I can find the Avo Oil any place else.

I read about using olive oil or avocado oil for baking. I'm sure it would work with some recipes but don't want my blueberry or banana muffins tasting like either.

I did run across a brownie recipe with avocado frosting that looked yummy.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz---No there wouldn't be  taste to either of those oils--the avo oil is more buttery and  a light olive oil wouldn't taste different----

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

@Nightowlz---No there wouldn't be  taste to either of those oils--the avo oil is more buttery and  a light olive oil wouldn't taste different----

@wagirl 

The California Olive Ranch makes a buttery olive oil for baking. I found it online from Thrive Market at the best price. Nutiva also has an organic shortening.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz-- that is a good thing to know-Smiley Happy----will look into that. good info--thanks! Am a fan of CA Olive Ranch

Honored Contributor

I use a jar of baby food prunes when I am baking something chocolate like a cake or brownies. Turned out just fine.