Trusted Contributor

Soon I am serving a Baked Potato Bar.

What would be the best way to keep them at serving temp??

I can only think of using a Nesco after they are baked. Would you bake them in foil??

Regular Contributor

We provided baked potatoes for a youth group at church once.  I baked the potatoes as late as I could, wrapped them in foil and then put them in an insulated container.  They stayed piping hot!

Honored Contributor

Bake them using any method you prefer but do wrap in foil afterwards

You could use the Nesco or a crock pot.

An insulated cooler would work also

@spud188 wrote:

Soon I am serving a Baked Potato Bar.

What would be the best way to keep them at serving temp??

I can only think of using a Nesco after they are baked. Would you bake them in foil??

Respected Contributor

I would NOT wrap the potatoes in foil unless they could be guaranteed to stay at a temp of above 140 degrees.

Believe it or not, a foil wrapped baked potato - held at an improper temperature, is deadly.

Is My Baked Potato Safe to Eat? - StateFoodSafety.com

Muddling through...
Trusted Contributor

Re: Baked Tater Bar

[ Edited ]

Hi @sabatini,

Thanks for sharing this really important information with us about not keeping baked potatoes wrapped in foil after they're baked if the temperature for the potato is not hot enough for it.

I did not know this. I learned something new today, thanks to you.

Respected Contributor

Gee, thanks, @Toppers3.

I used to be in the restaurant business, and had to be ServSafe certified. The 1st time I ever took that class, the baked-potato-in-foil danger shocked me!

It really is good info to have.

Muddling through...
Super Contributor

Whenever I have company and want baked potatoes, I do them in my crockpot. Takes quite a long time to "bake" but they taste great. You could do this and keep them on warm setting.

Esteemed Contributor

@spud188

I did a baked potato bar for Christmas-I baked the potatoes in the oven sans foil.  The skins were crispy like a restaurant when I took them out of the oven and placed them in my Nesco roaster.  When we went to eat them, the skins were soft-the potatoes were still very hot but the heat from all of them in the roaster plus I had put the lid on, made the skins soften and I was disappointed.  If I do this again, I think I will just put the potatoes on my hot buffet server-unless someone has a better idea as I am open to ideas!

Trusted Contributor

Thank you for taking the time to answer me.