Respected Contributor

My Italian MIL always made sauce for pasta only with canned tomato paste, water, dried parsley and dried garlic, s and p.   And a little grease from the fried meatballs.

She said once you put oregano or Italian seasoning etc in you have pizza sauce not spaghetti sauce. 

Hers was the best ever.   

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Baked Penne Pasta

[ Edited ]

Made this yesterday using regular tomato sauce.  It was plain but I couldn't quit eating it.  Actually, it was pretty good.  The texture of the pasta is interesting.  I think that is party of the appeal.  I liked it but will make it again with Classico sauce.  Not soupy.  I didn't have cheese to add.  Could only be tastier.  Very easy!

Esteemed Contributor

I would use the equivalent of my favorite spaghetti sauce. 

Esteemed Contributor

I did that the first time and the sauce cooked down  thick on the oiled penne was really tasty!  Will make that a staple.  Ate it with Italian Sausage.  Yum!

Honored Contributor

To me, this recipe is not worthy of even writing down.   It’s one of those recipes you came up with when these simple ingredients are all you have on hand, and it just happened to satisfy you at the time.    

Penne is the only pasta outlawed in this house; we just don’t like it, period.   

Respected Contributor

@RedTop :  There are those on these boards who are "cooking challenged" and would never come up with ideas like this one.  Just not in my make-up.  I need to see recipes in order to make anything.  My talents lie elsewhere Woman Very HappyWoman Very Happy.