Esteemed Contributor

Image3.jpg

Found this on Pinterest and copied the recipe but lost the Pin and I can't find it again!!

Do you think the "2 15 oz cans of tomato sauce" means plain tomato sauce like Hunts? 

Not like pasta sauce with all the seasonings?

Are any of you familiar with a dish like this one?

Tried it with Classico Traditional Pasta Sauce and the taste was great but lots of the pasta was 'hard' so I guess there wasn't enough liquid??????

Honored Contributor

@Zhills My gut tells me you need pasta sauce, not just tomatoes.  

Respected Contributor

I think it means what it says, tomato sauce, because it calls for 15 oz cans of sauce. Most pasta sauce comes in jars and contain more than 15 oz. Most tomato sauce comes in cans.

But, you could use either one. Or 15 oz of each.

Trusted Contributor

I would probably use the plain tomato sauce and “doctor” with whatever herbs and seasonings I chose.   

Honored Contributor

Re: Baked Penne Pasta

[ Edited ]

Use what would taste best to you.  I use my own home made sauce, mushrooms, peas,  and fresh basil....no cheese.  Very yummy!

Esteemed Contributor

@nomless wrote:

I think it means what it says, tomato sauce, because it calls for 15 oz cans of sauce. Most pasta sauce comes in jars and contain more than 15 oz. Most tomato sauce comes in cans.

But, you could use either one. Or 15 oz of each.

That was my thought also.  The poster said she took it to a potluck and the bowl was emptied!   It is not the typical Baked Pasta with spices.

Respected Contributor

Plain tomato sauce sounds bland and boring.  Hunts makes a pasta sauce in a can.  They might have been referring to that one.  I've heard the same stuff called tomato sauce, pasta sauce, tomato gravy, etc.  Around here we call it spaghetti sauce.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with the others that it probably means your normal canned tomato sauce.  The whole recipe sounds very bland to me.  I would definitely add seasonings (a lot) to the recipe if it were me.  I don't normally make a baked Penne Pasta like this but the few times I have I've used my own spaghetti sauce that I make up and freeze.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

This dish is intended as a "side dish" and not a full meal like a lot of baked pasta dishes are.  The one I did was very good!

Honored Contributor

Two cans of tomato sauce with nothing but salt and pepper sounds awfully bland.

If you are going to make it with uncooked pasta you need a lot of extra sauce because it's the sauce that rehudrates the pasta in the oven.  You probably didn't have enough and that's the reason it was hard.