Respected Contributor

Does anyone have one that is tried and true?  I have tried one in the oven and one in the Instant Pot and both were yucky!  I used to love this as a child but I just can't seem to get it right!  TIA

Honored Contributor

@FastDogWalker2 

Funny you should ask, I made some yesterday!

I use and love a recipe by @BritBrit13 which was her mother's recipe.....delish!

Sometimes I add coconut too.

Custard by Britbrit13

Enjoy, This is my Mothers recipe!!! Brittany

4 cups milk
6 eggs beaten
½ cup sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
1 to 2 teaspoons vanilla
¼ teaspoon nutmeg

Add sugar & salt to milk 

Blend in beaten eggs; add vanilla & nutmeg; blend thoroughly.

Cook 1 hour @ 325 degrees in a pan of hot water. Enjoy!

I use a 3-qt oval baking dish with this..and I watch it; sometimes it's not an hour.
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

My grandma used to make this stove-top recipe for us when we weren't feeling well (and when we just wanted a dish of her custard):

2 cups heavy cream

1/2 cup sugar

5 egg yolks, whisked to combine

3 tbsp cornstarch

4 tbsp butter, cut into 4 chunks

1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Whisk 2 tbsp sugar into egg yolks in a bowl until sugar is dissolved.  Whisk in cornstarch to thicken mixture.

Stir cream and 6 tbsps sugar in saucepan until simmering.  Whisk 1/2 of warm cream/sugar into egg yolk mixture.  Pour back into pan and simmer to thicken, whisking constantly.

Off-heat, whisk in butter and vanilla.  Pour into bowl and refrigerate at least 3 hours to set.  She used to make enough to keep in the fridge for a couple days.