Trusted Contributor

This is one of my favorite fall recipes. It makes enough to feed a crowd as a side dish.

Baked Coconut Squash

2 pkgs. frozen squash (I use Birdseye Winter Squash, 12 oz. pkgs.)

1 c. sugar

3 eggs, beaten

1 c. evaporated milk

1/2 tsp. ginger

6 T. melted butter + 2 T. melted butter

Ritz crackers, crushed

coconut

Directions:

Mix all of the above ingredients ( using 6 T. butter) except crackers and coconut. Place in an unbuttered shallow baking dish in a water bath. Bake, uncovered, at 350F for 90 minutes. Mix crushed Ritz crackers with coconut and 2 T. melted butter, sprinkle on top and bake 10 minutes more.

Notes:

Sorry the recipe isn't more detailed as to how much coconut & crackers to use. I think I probably use about 3/4 c. of crushed crackers and 1/2 c. coconut, but I am just guessing. Not an exact science! Wink I also usually cut the sugar back to 2/3-3/4 c. and it's still plenty sweet. You could also add a little bit of cinnamon and/or nutmeg to the mix if that appeals to you.

I cook this in a 9"x13" glass Pyrex dish and put it in a larger baking dish for the water bath. If you don't have a baking dish large enough to accommodate a 9x13 dish, try using a large (throw away) aluminum one--just make sure you lift the Pyrex dish out of the water bath first as the softer aluminum one might not support it.

Enjoy!