Trusted Contributor

I usually don't make them completely from scratch.  i start with a couple cans of baked beans and then add in ketchup, brown sugar or molasses, chopped onions and some spices.  

Does anyone have a recipe to share?  Thanks!  And have safe holiday weekend!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Baked Beans recipes

[ Edited ]

My favorite, tried and true.

Baked Beans

1/2 pound bacon

1 lb. gound beef

1/4 to 1/2 cup onion, chopped

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup catsup (but  use bbq sauce instead, any kind)

2 Tablespoons vinegar

1 tablespoon prepared mustard

1 teaspoon salt

1 can butter beans, drained

2 cans kidney beans, (drain one can)

28 oz. can pork and beans

In large skillet, dice and cook the bacon until crisp; set aside.  Brown ground beef and onion. Drain it.  Add remaining ingredients and bacon.  Put in baking dish, Bake uncovered for 1 hr and 1/2 half @ 300 degrees

* Also, a small can of drained pineapple tidbits can be added.

Honored Contributor

@Knit-Chick    Growing up I'm sure if anyone ever asked how to make baked beans, I would have said they shoulr start by opening a can!   My mother made them the way you do, but if there were a few pieces of staling bread in the box, she's butter them lightly, teay them cubes and add a topping.  I still remember I loved that crunch.

I still use the basic recipe and pretend to myself that not adding the buttery crust makes them healthy!

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@Knit-Chick wrote:

I usually don't make them completely from scratch.  i start with a couple cans of baked beans and then add in ketchup, brown sugar or molasses, chopped onions and some spices.  

Does anyone have a recipe to share?  Thanks!  And have safe holiday weekend!

@Knit-Chick    My mother-in-law used to make what she called "6 Bean Bake"...Same ingredients as you mentioned...but she added additional beans..black, light and dark kidney, sometimes Lima ...even a few green beans in addition to the  the baked beans.  
She would also include either fried ground beef or sausage.  I don't care for sausage so I always requested the beef.  Truthfully, I am not a fan of beans ...but this was delicious.
 Even the grandkids like it.  🤗

Honored Contributor

Re: Baked Beans recipes

[ Edited ]

Here is my go- to beans---got it from a former friend years ago. I use Grillin' Beans . Also add a jalapeno pepper sometimes too. I never get to  bring any home --they get eaten up. And I cut down the brn sugar to 1/4 cup. I drain the beans a little too. 

ORANGE BAKED BEANS

1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 T butter
1-22 0z can baked beans
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 T catsup
1 1/2 T orange juice concentrate
1 t yellow mustard
1- 11oz can mandarin oranges, drained

In a 2 qt bowl, combine onion, celery and butter. Microwave at high for 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 minutes, or until tender.

Stir in remaining ingredients except mardarin oranges.

Microwave on high for 3 minutes.

Mix in oranges and microwave another 1 to 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated

Honored Contributor

I usually make every thing from scratch.  But this is a quick fix in a pinch.....

*Can of Bush's Vegetarian Baked Beans  

Measurements are to taste:

Tablespoon of mustard (I use dijon)

3 tablespoons of maple syrup (or molasses)

Quick and easy....the improvement is significant

*We are traveling and currently in Texas.  It is difficult to find the Vegetarian Bush's beans in several states.

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

I usually make every thing from scratch.  But this is a quick fix in a pinch.....

*We are traveling and currently in Texas.  It is difficult to find the Vegetarian Bush's beans in several states.

If you are in East Texas and see a Brookshires or a SuperOne (their sack your own groceries store) you will be able to find them.  I love them.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

@millieshops that's really interesting!  Having that crunch on top sounds good!

Trusted Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

Here is my go- to beans---got it from a former friend years ago. I use Grillin' Beans . Also add a jalapeno pepper sometimes too. I never get to  bring any home --they get eaten up. And I cut down the brn sugar to 1/4 cup. I drain the beans a little too. 

ORANGE BAKED BEANS

1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 T butter
1-22 0z can baked beans
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 T catsup
1 1/2 T orange juice concentrate
1 t yellow mustard
1- 11oz can mandarin oranges, drained

In a 2 qt bowl, combine onion, celery and butter. Microwave at high for 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 minutes, or until tender.

Stir in remaining ingredients except mardarin oranges.

Microwave on high for 3 minutes.

Mix in oranges and microwave another 1 to 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated

@wagirl what a good recipe, thanks for sharing!  and doesn't it feel good when you bring a dish somewhere and it all goes!  

Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012  I am in East Texas.  Thanks for the information.  I haven't seen those stores, but I'll be on the look-out. 

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@phoenixbrd wrote:

If you are in East Texas and see a Brookshires or a SuperOne (their sack your own groceries store) you will be able to find them.  I love them.