Honored Contributor

Recipe for Baked Beans

1 40 oz. can Great Northern Beans (do not drain)

1 cup white sugar (less if desired)

½ tsp. salt

½ tsp. mustard

½ lb. bacon

1 small whole onion

Fry bacon until very crisp. Break (or cut) into small pieces. Combine bacon and grease with remaining ingredients except onion. Place whole onion in the middle of beans. Bake at 300 degrees for 3-4 hours or until most of grease is gone. Discard onion before serving.

I'm testing to see if the recipe posts (from Word to here).  This is my favorite baked bean recipe and may become a favorite for your summer picnics or any meal you serve.  I hope it posts.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Respected Contributor

I suppose that's someone's version of some type of baked beans but it's not the traditional Boston Baked Bean recipe.   

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I suppose that's someone's version of some type of baked beans but it's not the traditional Boston Baked Bean recipe.   

Do you have a Boston baked bean recipe you'd like to share?

I do like the recipe I posted and so does my family.  Heart  People also request it for potluck dinners or lunches at church.  You may want to try it.

Respected Contributor

@AnikaBrodie wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

Do you have a Boston baked bean recipe you'd like to share?

I do like the recipe I posted and so does my family.  Heart  People also request it for potluck dinners or lunches at church.  You may want to try it.

I'm sure your recipe is very good, you just lost me because it's not at all what I would think of when I hear "Baked Beans".  I do have a family recipe for Boston Baked Beans, at home.  It starts with dry navy beans and molasses and salt pork, dijon mustard.  I'll post the recipe.   It was handed down from my Great Grandmother to my Grandmother etc etc etc.  I haven't made it for quite some time.  I made it in the winter when my girls were younger and I'd serve it with a platter of fried fish, homemade cole slaw and brown bread, of course.       

Honored Contributor

Thanks Anika, these sound delicious & DIFFERENT. I have several recipes for "traditional" baked beans - I like that these are a little different.

On the same note I made white chicken chili with this type beans (got the recipe here) a couple of weeks ago & it was awesome!

My point is, it was not "traditional" chili but boy was it good.

Thanks for posting the recipe, I have all the ingredients to boot!!!

Contributor

Hi AnikaBrodie.  My recipe is similar, but it has a bottle of ketchup in it, which gives some acidity and sweetness, so I use between 1/4 and 1/2 cup of sugar (to taste).  Sometimes I'll use part brown sugar for the molasses flavor.  Mine also doesn't include an onion, but I really like that idea.  I've never seen baked beans that weren't either brown or reddish in color.  I'm very intrigued by your recipe, and am looking forward to trying them.  Thanks for sharing.  Smiley Happy

gr8auntie

Honored Contributor

@Gr8Auntie wrote:

Hi AnikaBrodie.  My recipe is similar, but it has a bottle of ketchup in it, which gives some acidity and sweetness, so I use between 1/4 and 1/2 cup of sugar (to taste).  Sometimes I'll use part brown sugar for the molasses flavor.  Mine also doesn't include an onion, but I really like that idea.  I've never seen baked beans that weren't either brown or reddish in color.  I'm very intrigued by your recipe, and am looking forward to trying them.  Thanks for sharing.  Smiley Happy

gr8auntie

Our family does not like much ketchup in baked beans so I guess that's why we like this recipe so much.  The onion adds flavor to the beans; however, you don't really taste onion if that makes sense.  I have tried a tablespoon or so of hickory syrup once or twice but it really doesn't need that.  Let me know how you like them.  I'm glad you're willing to try the recipe.  I'd call their color a light brown.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Baked Beans Recipe

[ Edited ]

I, too, have hesitated to ask for another recipe because I don't want to demean another poster.  However, I do have a request...I have eated baked beans that were not "redish or brown" and they were the best I have ever tasted.  That taste you never forget!

The beans were slightly darker than bean soup and they were sweet like baked beans, not spicy at all and delicious.  I have seen recipes for white baked beans with maple syrup but I don't remember the flavor of maple (not my favorite).  Any help?

Thanks for the Sugar feee recipe.  My SIL will be able to use it.

(Sorry, forgot to QUOTE)