Respected Contributor

Right there with you.   I think bagged lettuce is nasty.  It smells horrible and tastes like it smells.  

My favorite lettuce is 'little gem' but no grocery store in my area sells it.   Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

Tell me I am not alone here,

I can not stand the smell/taste of bagged lettuce/salad mixes.

We were at a wedding and the salad served was a bagged iceberg mix and I could not get past the smell.  ughh

P.S.   Obviously I buy bagged spring mix as it does not come loose in most stores.  The spring mix is not 'treated' since it is not prone to browning like cut leaf lettuce.

Interesting. I have never noticed a smell. Does anyone tell a difference in the taste?

Honored Contributor

Ours goes brown in one day because of the distance to ship it, I guess.  But I do buy it in the salad bar and eat it immediately.

Honored Contributor
I have not bought iceberg lettuce in years. It turns brown faster than we can eat it and it has zero nutritional value from what I have read. I buy spring mix or baby spinach.
Honored Contributor

I have never bought any type of bagged lettuce.   Just not something I would be interested in.    

My trucker daughter often hauls lettuce from the west coast to east coast suppliers.   She was able to watch part of the processing of lettuce straight from the fields into the warehouse where it was washed, chopped, and bagged, before it was loaded into her truck.   It was interesting enough for her to say she’s glad I don’t buy that type of lettuce.   

Respected Contributor

Re: Bagged lettuce

[ Edited ]

I have stayed away from heads of  iceberg lettuce for a long time, because it wasn't good in grocery stores where I lived before and hasn't  always been good where I live now. 

However, in the past month or two, I have found some beautiful, good-smelling fresh heads of iceberg in stores here in metro Atlanta.  (DH has always liked iceberg and actually has to avoid deeper  greens because their Vitamin K content conflicts with his blood-thinning meds.)

You can't expect, in some parts of the country, to find great produce of any type at all times of the year.  But now that I live further south, I am amazed at the quality I find in all types of fresh produce that can be found some  of the time in local stores.  

I guess living closer to the agricultural source of produce can make a difference.

Bagged , pre-chopped or shredded iceberg lettuce has always been a loser no matter where I've lived.