Esteemed Contributor

I never buy bagged lettuce.  In nice weather, I grow my own and it is delicious and so easy to just walk outside and pick it.  Same with spinach.  In the winter, we have several farmers markets that have decent looking lettuce that is not too pricey.  I have also gotten some at BJ's and Costco that looked good.  My local supermarket always carries both but they are usually very expensive, don't look good, or expensive and  don't look good.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

I wish we had a garden, between my husband and I, I am thrilled we can keep 2 houseplants alive.  I wish we could have more houseplants but...........

We almost NEVER eat salads out in restaurants because they use bagged lettuce.

We belong to a co-op but they do not offer enough lettuce for us,  so I buy organic greens, but the spring mix is bagged in most stores.

Respected Contributor

I agree bagged lettuce is the worst . I think it smels reallyl bad, and it it smells bad it has to be done away with. Just nasty !!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I don’t like the smell either ... turns my stomach 🤮🤢

Trusted Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl

You are not alone! There is an awful odor. I don’t buy bagged salads anymore. It’s a pain to wash, rinse & dry the lettuce but tastes so much better. I’m especially disappointed when I order a salad in a restaurant & it has that odor. 

Honored Contributor

I thought it was the bag that was treated not the lettuce so it seems like if you got rid of the bag that would help.  I don't eat iceburg lettuce except on tacos and tostados.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't like iceberg or romaine, or pre mixed varities.

I love the bagged sweet butter lettuce from Aldi's. It's the only type of lettuce I eat.

Respected Contributor

Thank you to those who took the time to respond,  it is interesting how some people can detect the smell and others can not.

My mother in law who was sitting beside me could not smell the 'chlorine-like' odor of the lettuce.

My DH thought it was the smell of the soap they used to wash the lettuce in the kitchen!

I literally could not eat the salad over the smell.

Trusted Contributor

I agree about the smell of the bagged lettuce.

Another thing I've noticed, is when I want to make coleslaw and a couple of times because I was not feeling up to grating fresh cabbage, I cheated and bought the bagged coleslaw mix.  Both times, it seemed to have an "off" smell and the cabbage did not taste fresh at all...and the dates on the bags both times were not at all close to the day I bought them...I had at least a week or more to use the bagged coleslaw mix according to the dates on the bags! 

Now I either buy fresh cabbage and grate it....or just buy store brand coleslaw at the deli!

Honored Contributor

have never noticed any smells with bagged lettuce.

i buy romaine hearts (3 heads to a bag usually), spring mix in a bag or a carton, baby arugula in a bag, baby spinach in a bag.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein