Super Contributor

Baby back ribs on indoor grill?

Has anyone successfully made baby back ribs on an indoor table top electric grill?  My son does them deliciously but he uses the outdoor grill with special wood chips, etc.  I wanted to try them on my DeLonghi table top grill but he says it won't work.  I probably need to bake them for a couple of hours first.  I want to use a dry rub, not barbeque sauce.

Honored Contributor

Re: Baby back ribs on indoor grill?

I don't know how they would turn out on your DeLonghi grill. I know on the EZ Store Rotisserie it says to par-boil 15 mins before putting in rotisserie.

I have made them in the oven double wrapped in tinfoil @ 400° for 2 hrs. I remove the membrane from the back sprinkle with salt, pepper & chili powder. After 2 hrs in the oven brush with bbq sauce and put on the grill 5-10 mins or under the oven broiler for a few minutes. Guess you could finish them off on the DeLonghi grill.

We are making ribs in the rotisserie today. Yum!!!

Super Contributor

I saw a "youtube" video where the guy removed the membrane (of course), rubbed the ribs with yelflow mustard on both sides then rubbed his homemade dry rub all over back and front.  Said mustard will not leave a taste and the vinegar helps to tenderize.  I remember my Mother always rubbing vinegar on roasts before cooking saying it is a tenderizer.  My son said to bake the ribs 2.5 hours then finish off on the indoor grill.  We don't care for bbq sauce; just maybe use for dipping sauce.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hope they turn out yummy.

When my sister told me about putting them in the oven for 2 hrs @ 400° I figured they would be all burnt up. The double foil steamed them. They were so tender. We started making them like that instead of putting them on the smoker.

We made a bunch of them when we were at my sisters house. My brothers could not believe how tender there were.

Yes vinegar will tenderize. I don't care for the BBQ that has that vinegar taste to it. We like Head Country or Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce.

Here's a good rub recipe if you need one. It makes quite a bit so you may want to cut it in half. We us it all the time. 

1/2 cup paprika

1/4 cup garlic powder

1/4 cup mild chili powder (use medium or hot to kick up the heat)
3 tablespoons salt
3 tablespoons black pepper
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons celery seeds
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme
3 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons dry mustard
2 teaspoons ground coriander
2 teaspoons ground allspice

Preparation:

Mix together all ingredients until well combined.

Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

Super Contributor

So NIghtowlz, you just double wrapped the rack with rub and baked at 400 for 2 hrs?  Wow!  yes, I would think they would be tough.  I'm going to cut your recipe for the future.  Thanks.

Honored Contributor

I intend to make this slow cooker recipe as soon as I get around to it.  I've read about wrapping hickory chips in parchment and placing in the cooker under the meat.  I also add Liquid Smoke. 

http://slowcooker-pork.cooktopcove.com/2016/11/21/how-to-make-root-beer-bbq-pork-ribs/?src=fbfan_576...

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kleo wrote:

So NIghtowlz, you just double wrapped the rack with rub and baked at 400 for 2 hrs?  Wow!  yes, I would think they would be tough.  I'm going to cut your recipe for the future.  Thanks.

@cddh Yes. You can use that rub or sometimes we sprinkle with salt, pepper & chili powder & double wrap in heavy foil with meat side up. I cannot believe how tender they turn out cooking for 2 hrs 400°. Since you don't like sauce after 2 hrs you could brush with any type sauce you like. I know people think I'm crazy when they hear this because that's what I thought when my sister told me. I thought those will be tough & all burnt up. LOL!!! No they were really good & that's how we now prefer to make them. I'm pretty sure my sister said it was a Martha Stewart recipe. This is how my dad, brothers & sisters all make their ribs now.

We only make Baby Back Ribs

Have not tried this recipe with spare ribs

Valued Contributor

You are better off finding a recipe to make them in the oven.  Ribs have to be cooked low and slow otherwise the fibrous tissue does not break down and they are tough.  I think you could finish them on the grill but they won't have to taste as those made outside.

Honored Contributor

@toria wrote:

You are better off finding a recipe to make them in the oven.  Ribs have to be cooked low and slow otherwise the fibrous tissue does not break down and they are tough.  I think you could finish them on the grill but they won't have to taste as those made outside.

@toria @That's why I posted cooking baby back ribs in the oven for 2hrs @ 400°. They turn out tender & yummy. We do put them on the grill for 5-10 mins with BBQ sauce on them. This way we don't have to wait all day. Yes they are good slow cooked in the smoker but as I get older I don't care for much of that smoked food or should I say my stomach does not like it. LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We do baby back ribs on a bake sheet, tightly covered with foil, at 225 for about 3 hrs, then transfer to the grill for about 15 minutes each side with sauce.

We buy a sweet sauce and add a little vinegar, liquid smoke, and burbon.

They fall off of the bone.