Honored Contributor

I have been meaning to try this recipe - decided today was the day.

6 cups squash, cleaned and cut into bite-size cubes
1 small onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, diced
1 t dried thyme
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1 cup feta, crumbled
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Mix all ingredients in a large bowl.  Put in a gratin dish and bake until squash is tender and top is light brown - about 30-40 minutes. 

I bought pre-cubed squash.  How long this takes will depend on how big the cubes are.  I had to add an additional 10 minutes before the ones in the center were fork tender.  I did not have a small onion so I used a large shallot.  I also added some chopped fresh parsley to sprinkle on top.  This is definitely a keeper for me.  

Honored Contributor

Sounds delish!

Respected Contributor

I have several banana squash that need to be used.  I'll try this recipe for some of it.  Looks good.

Super Contributor

I would add buttered bread crumbs topping :-))

Honored Contributor

This would be a great accompaniment to Christmas dinner.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@DiAnne 

I never knew I could buy squash already cleaned and cut. Any thoughts as to what section in the grocery store I would find it ?

Thank you.

Respected Contributor

@Flatbush 

Packaged cubes of peeled butternut squash, ready to cook, are found in the produce section of most grocery stores that I visit.

If you've ever noticed plastic-wrapped trays of  green beans or zucchini and yellow squash  on display, you will probably also find trays of butternut squash already peeled and cubed.

Esteemed Contributor

@Re: BUTTERNUT SQUASH GRATIN

@Flatbush, I've seen small bags of frozen cubed squash, but I'm sure the fresh cut in the produce section would be better.

Honored Contributor

@Flatbush 

You find it in the produce section.  I used to avoid using butternut squash because the prep was difficult and I was always afraid of losing a finger!

Trusted Contributor

@DiAnne 

Thank you!  This was delicious!  It baked 45 minutes. Next time I'll make sure the squash  cubes are more uniform in size. This recipe is  a keeper!