Respected Contributor

BRUNSWICK STEW for a crowd--Makes 2 gallons

[ Edited ]

From Southern Living magazine, years ago.

1 broiler-fryer chicken

1-1/2 pounds lean stew beef, cut into 1-inch cubes

1 pound pork tenderloin

3 (16-oz.) cans tomatoes, undrained and chopped

6 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed

4 cups frozen lima beans

1 (16-oz.) bag frozen white shoepeg corn

4 cups chopped onion

2 cups diced carrots

2 cups frozen sliced okra

1 cup chopped cabbage

3 medium jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped [or a tablespoon or two of hot pepper sauce]

1 (6-oz.) can tomato paste

3 tablespoons Worcesterhire sauce

2 tablespoons lemon juice

1 tablespoon sugar

2 teaspoons salt

1/2 to 1 teaspoon pepper

Place chicken in Dutch oven; cover with water.  Bring to a boil.

Cover and reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour.

Remove chicken from broth, reserving broth.  Let chicken cool.

Bone chicken and coarsely chop meat.  Set aside.

Place beef and pork in a Dutch oven; cover with water.  Bring to a boil.

Cover and reduce heat, and simmer 2 hours.

Remove meat from broth, reserving broth.  Let meat cool.

Coarsely chop meat; set aside.

Combine all broths, reserving 6 to 7 cups of broth mixture.

Combine broth, chopped meat and next 11 ingredients in large Dutch oven.

Bring to a boil.  Cover, reduce heat and simmer 2 hours.

Add Worcesterhire sauce, lemon juice, sugar, salt and pepper.  Mix well.

Yield: 2 gallons.   NOTE:  For a thicker stew, use only 5 cups of broth

Honored Contributor

Re: BRUNSWICK STEW for a crowd--Makes 2 gallons

Sounds wonderful except you forgot the squirrel! (Isn't that "traditional?" LOL!!!!)
Respected Contributor

@Sooner

I'd happily add squirrel to the pot,  if you'll skin the critter for me!

Honored Contributor

OKIE DOKIE!  We can start with the little devil that chewed through our patio storage bin!  He's all fattened up on the birdseed we had stored there!  LOL!!!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner

You're not the only one who has been "cooked" by a squirrel and would like to return the favor.

Due to less-then-stellar-work by a contractor at our home, a small opening to the attic area led to a whole family of  squirrels up there  during one fall season...........sounded like a construction crew working overhead when I woke up in our bedroom one morning.  This required hiring a professional wildlife trapper to get rid of them.

Then....weather turned warm.......turned on the AC system........major KA-BLAM sound that I was sure meant the whole house was going down in an explosion.  The squirrel family had chewed through the air conditioning wires.

Paid  $$ to a  wildlife trapper........paid $$ to  AC contractor for repairs.....happy to boil a squirrel if I get a chance.

Honored Contributor

LOL!!!  Sorry for your expense but yes, they are trouble!  One night at my mom's house I woke up to horrible gnawing chewing sounds.  I was terrified something was in the attic.  Something BIG.  Next morning my mom went out to get the paper and came back in mad because she had put out a fall wreath on the front door with nuts on it and EVERY ONE of them was gone!  It was wheat and walnuts and pecans and such glued on.  Well, NOT any more!!!  I told her I knew what had happened!  The door was right next to the closet in the room I was sleeping in. . . 

Respected Contributor

Those squirrels can put a damper on  the fall holiday season, too.  No one in my neighborhood dares to set out a pumpkin or jack-o-lantern.  My front porch once looked as if a squirrel colony had held a pumpkin-eating orgy and left behind a real sloppy mess.  Never again.

And by the way, I don't really want to boil  squirrels. I'd rather sue them for damages if that were possible.

Honored Contributor

Squirrels would eat my pumpkins too.  I love the look but don't buy them any more.  Always interesting to see what happens when neighborhood newbies put them out. I think most of the oldtimers have learned the hard way.

Honored Contributor

Well, I am glad I threw this off topic! I had NO idea squirrels ate pumpkins! See you learn something every day!

Sorry about your pumpkins though. What a shame! Try painting come cayenne pepper on them and see if that helps!
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

As long as we're way off-topic here anyway, here's another talent my squirrels have....One year, I .paid big money to a landscape designer to revamp our garden areas.  When that was done, I invested in and planted a bunch of tulip and crocus bulbs. 

Those darned squirrels dug them up, and unbeknownst to me, had replanted them in various places of our lawn.( Squirrels entertain themselves by digging anywhere the soil is a little soft).  Spring came, and suddenly  crocus and tulips were sprouting up in the middle of our lawn.   These days, I only plant and raise lilies, because neither the deer nor squirrels will touch those.

I'd also like to know the identity of a neighbor somewhere around here who, for the past 25 years or so, apparently puts out whole peanuts in the shell for the squirrels.  The squirrels bring them to our yard, bury them, dig them up later, and leave the shells everywhere, including the front porch.

And then there was the  bird-watching and bird-feeding hobby I started to develop, after a bird-loving relative gave us a bird-feeder for Christmas.  I put different, supposedly squirrel-proof feeders around the property, but every single time and no matter what I did, the squirrels got more bird seed than the birds did.  One day,  I watched one squirrel managing to climb  a  slippery metal downspout to get to some seed, and I knew I had lost the war.  No more bird-feeding.