Highlighted
Honored Contributor

BRAISED CHICKEN THIGHS WITH ALMONDS AND OLIVES

My friend made this for dinner last week and I was one of the lucky guests.  It is from Daphne Oz.

1 T unsalted butter
1 T extra virgin olive oil
8 chicken thighs (about 3 pounds)
Leaves from three fresh thyme sprigs
2 shallots, halved and thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup pitted Castelvetrano olives
1/4 cup Marcona almonds, chopped
1/4 cup dry white wine
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh flat leaf parsley

In Dutch oven on med melt butter in olive oil.  Season chicken with 1 t Kosher salt and 1/2 freshly ground black pepper.  Add to pan skin side down.  Cook until skin is golden (about 6 minutes).  Turn and cook until browned on other side (4 to 5 minutes).  Transfer to plate.

Reduce heat to medium low.  Add thyme leaves.  When they start to sizzle add shallots and 1/2 t Kosher salt.  Cook stirring often 3 - 4 minutes or until shallots soften.  Add garlic and cook 1 minute.  Stir in olives and almonds.

Increase heat to medium and add wine, stirring and scraping up any browned bits.  When wine comes to a simmer, return chicken to pan skin side up along with any accumulated juices.  Pour in chicken broth, increase heat and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to simmer.  Simmer uncovered until chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes.  

Serve chicken on a platter with sauce and shower of fresh parsley.

Note:  This recipe used bone in/skin on thighs.  I may try taking the skin off next time.  I found the olives in olive bar of a high end market.  They are bright green.  The sauce is very thin.  If you want it thicker remove chicken thighs to the platter add a slurry of cornstarch.  .  

Honored Contributor

Re: BRAISED CHICKEN THIGHS WITH ALMONDS AND OLIVES

I have one of her cookbooks that I just love!