Esteemed Contributor

BOULANGERE POTATOES WITH IDAHO® POTATOES, ROSEMARY & GRUYERE - From Eating European

I'm making this tonight to go w/ a bone-in pork roast. Of course these do not need to be made w/ "Idaho" potatoes. I just wanted to use the exact name the recipe creator used in case people wanted to navigate to her site. (She has very interesting ethnic style recipes). She has Spanish onions listed...I use sweet yellow onions, but any yellow onion is fine

I do use Yukon gold when making this dish, but russet potatoes would work too. I use a mandoline to slice my potatoes and it goes pretty fast. Cutting the potatoes is the hardest part and it's not that hard. (You could use a food processor or cut potatoes using a knife). 

This is potato dish does not call for cream, yet the potatoes are creamy tasting. I use a vegetable stock when I make this, but chicken stock works too. 

BOULANGERE POTATOES WITH IDAHO® POTATOES, ROSEMARY & GRUYERE - From Eating European

potatoes boulangere scalloped no cream.PNG

Ingredients
6 Yukon Gold Idaho® Potatoes Medium to large size, sliced
1.5 Large Spanish Onions or 3 small ones, sliced
1 clove Garlic Chopped
5 tbsp Butter Unsalted
1 tbsp Rosemary Chopped
1.5 cups Stock Chicken or Vegetable
2 tbsp Olive Oil Extra Virgin
0.5 cup Gruyere Cheese Shredded
1 teaspoon Fresh Italian Parsley to garnish
Salt & Pepper to taste

Instructions

Preheat your oven to 350 F.

Slice up the onions, add 2 tablespoons of butter to the skillet and sauté them for 5 minutes.

Then add the garlic with one more tablespoon of butter and sauté for another 5 minutes.

In the meantime, peel your potatoes and cut them thin (I used my food processor to cut up 2/3 of my potatoes, which literally took 15 seconds. I then thinly sliced 1/3 of potatoes to have nice round slices for the top layer. 

Butter your 11" oval baking dish and start assembling the casserole.
Add 1/3 of your potatoes for a single layer; then add 1/2 the onions, 1/3 of your rosemary, salt, and pepper (season every layer).

Repeat with another layer.

Arrange the top layer of potatoes in a way that the rounds overlap slightly on each other.

Pour over the stock so it submerges almost all of the potatoes. However, the top layer stays slightly elevated above the stock (so that it will get crispy).

Add more rosemary, salt, and pepper.

Add little pieces of butter (1/3" squares) on the potatoes and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil (about 2 tablespoons of butter)

Cover with foil and bake for one hour.

Take the foil off, raise the oven temperature to 425F and bake for another half hour.

In the meantime shred 1/2 cup of Gruyere Cheese and chop the parsley.
Remove the potatoes from the oven, sprinkle with cheese and return to the oven for 5 minutes, until the cheese has melted.

Serve with chopped parsley and enjoy!

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

Re: BOULANGERE POTATOES WITH IDAHO® POTATOES, ROSEMARY & GRUYERE - From Eating European

This looks like a recipe my mother used to make called Alsatian Potatoes.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: BOULANGERE POTATOES WITH IDAHO® POTATOES, ROSEMARY & GRUYERE - From Eating European

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

This looks like a recipe my mother used to make called Alsatian Potatoes.

@deepwaterdotter 

Many of the same ingredients. I've never met a potato dish I didn't like to eat. Smiley Happy

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Valued Contributor

Oh my gosh @kate2357 . Can I come to your house for dinner? Lol. My mother was French and made something very similar but it did have cream in it. Enjoy your feast!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@nevergivesup wrote:

Oh my gosh @kate2357 . Can I come to your house for dinner? Lol. My mother was French and made something very similar but it did have cream in it. Enjoy your feast!

@nevergivesup 

C'mon over ... take a left when you get to Seattle and when you've hit Puget Sound look for our house! LOL.

The recipe that uses heavy cream instead of stock to make these potatoes, is really, really good. We only have it maybe once or twice a year ... only because I can't be trusted not to eat too much of it

Valued Contributor

Thanks for the invite @kate2357  but I guess New York to Washington State is a bit too far even for a potatoholic like me. And don’t get me started on homemade bread!

Recipes bring back such happy memories for me. We were poor but my mother could put together such delicious food in her iron skillet with an onion, a few potatoes and odds and ends from leftovers. In those days it was called peasant food but today it’s considered gourmet!

Esteemed Contributor

@nevergivesup 

I grew up in a poor household as well. My mother was not a great cook ... I don't think her mother taught her how to cook. My grandfather and my stepmother were fabulous cooks and we did eat quite a bit of "peasant food" too. In fact, if I had a recipe site it should be called The Rustic Peasant. Smiley Happy

And you're right, New York to Washington state is a long trek. Both coasts are beautiful and so very different.

Honored Contributor

This sounds delicious. Yukon gold are pretty much all I buy unless this is a recipe that specifically calls for a something different. You have a very lucky family with all the care you put into meals!

Esteemed Contributor

@GenXmuse 

I am lucky w/ my family.

RE: meals ... it really helps that I am retired and it's winter. I have more time to look up recipes and try new things. Once gardening time hits ... I'm more inclined to grill everything. 

Esteemed Contributor

🤩I would love to have this bubbling away in the oven right NOW! Note to self: add to grocery list.😁

~~~All we need is LOVE💖