Respected Contributor

Whenever a recipe calls for bringing water to a boil, I use hot water to begin with, then the water boils very quickly, and I save a lot of time.I use this with cooking vegetables, macaroni etc.

I have never had a problem doing this. Does anyone else use this time saving trick?

Trusted Contributor

I do exactly the same thing.  I always assumed that if I start with hot water it will boil faster than using cold water.

Respected Contributor

@LuvmyLab wrote:

I do exactly the same thing.  I always assumed that if I start with hot water it will boil faster than using cold water.

@LuvmyLab  I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner. Such a simple solution.

Honored Contributor

I used to do this  until a neighbor who is a plumber told me that unless you have a filter on water coming from the hot water tank that it is not good to drink or use hot water for cooking or drinking as there is sediment that is in hot water tanks and even boiling it may not purify it enough.  Most filters filter the water coming from the outside pipes and water in  the tank is not filtered before coming out of your facet.  

Esteemed Contributor

No, I don't usually do that, and it makes sense (except when boiling potatoes - I understand they need to be started in cold water only).

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

"Using hot tap water for drinking or cooking is a no-no, the Environmental Protection Agency warns. That's because hot tap water can leach harmful contaminants like lead from your home's service pipes into the water you might be drinking or using to prepare hot foods."

My hot water heater is not near my kitchen so it takes a long time to get to the faucet.  Waste time or waste water????

I just use cold water and turn it on high to bring to a boil.

Honored Contributor

I always start with hot water as it saves time.  Why would you worry about boiling water not being pure? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

When I need hot water--I use my electric tea kettle---takes a minute for a good boil

Respected Contributor

Seems like it would be a lot of water just running down the drain depending on how long it takes to get hot.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I always start with hot water as it saves time.  Why would you worry about boiling water not being pure? 

As I understand it...the water would be free of bacteria but could still have traces of metal and contaminates.