Respected Contributor

Mustard

Honored Contributor

I agree with those who said if the tomatoes and bacon are really good you don't need to use anything.

My friend gives me his home grown tomatoes.  I just ate one today.  A good tomato doesn't need much else.  But when you add the bacon.....my mouth is watering just thinking about this.

Now you've done it.  I am going to get myself some bacon at the store tomorrow and cook it up so I have it ready.

Oh!  My goodness.  Any Italian dressing would be good.  I just ate this afternoon, sliced tomato (one from his garden) and some Italian dressing on it.

Do you guys know that you can get Panera's dressing at Harris Teeter grocery store.  You can get Olive Garden dressing, etc.

Probably other grocery stores offer these various dressings too.

I'm not very adventurous when it comes to trying different things, but when it comes to salad dressings.....well...I'm all in.

They are kept in the refrigerator part of the store.

Olive Garden also sells their dressing at the restaurant.

I have all of the dressings in my refrigerator.  Allow lots of time to look through the dressings.  They're all wonderful especially this time of year with the fresh fruits and vegetables available.

We are so lucky in the country that we can get just about anything we want.

Esteemed Contributor

@KayinMN - Ditto! I always add just a light swipe of good butter on the bread, whether it's toasted or plain. It provides the perfect amount of creaminess for the crispy bacon, fresh lettuce, and acidic tomato.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

What have you dressed the BLT sandwich with to this point?  If I didn't like Miracle White or Mayo, I would eat them naked of dressing, just being sure to salt the tomatoe.  Or experience with different salad dressing you already have in your frig.  A little country french sounds tasty.

Honored Contributor

Why would you need a substitute? I might use some thousand island dressing if I thought a spread was needed on the bread.

Honored Contributor

A BLT has bacon, tomato and lettuce--preferably iceberg.  It must be made with GOOD white sandwich bread and lots of a GOOD mayo.  It must have the tomato salted--yes I know the bacon has salt, but that's beside the point.  A little salt on the tomato makes it.

If it has toast, butter or something else it is not a blt.  At least in the South it isn't!  LOL!!!  And if someone has run out of lettuce, nobody would notice I don't think if there is enough bacon and the tomato is a great one sliced thick. 

A great BLT salad has bacon, lettuce and tomatoes, a little onion, a mayo based dressing and fried oysters.  Heaven on a plate! 

Honored Contributor

Guacamole

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

I don't think you have to use anything....just a lot of bacon, fresh tomatos and crisp lettuce. What do you normally use when making other sandwiches? Most grocery stores also carry bottled condiments made specifically for sandwiches, so there might be one of those that would work.

@jannabelle1  I'm with you.  IMO condiments muck up the taste of a BLT.  I see no reason why anyone would hesitate to substitute or eliminate an ingredient from a traditional recipe if it makes the item taste better for them.  In this case it's only a condiment. As long as the bacon, lettuce and tomato are there you have a BLT in my book.  The last time I had a BLT it was made with peppercorn vegetarian bacon, red leafed lettuce and heirloom tomatoes.  It was served on brioche bread with no additonal condiments or dressings, and was delicious!

Esteemed Contributor

I've never like Mayo and have never considered substituting anything on my BLT's. Isn't that why they are called BLT's, not BLT&M's? (silly question, I know) LOL

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Thousand Island dressing.

Remoulade sauce is good too.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...