Respected Contributor

BLACK vs WHITE PEPPER..Does it really matter in taste?

Is there a difference between black pepper vs white? Or is it strictly the appearance in the dish?

I've always used black pepper and recipe was, unaffected in taste, as far as I could tell. 

Respected Contributor

Re: BLACK vs WHITE PEPPER..Does it really matter in taste?

@Flatbush   Yes, there really is a difference in the flavor of white pepper.  It is one of my "go to" ingredients in some of my cooking.  I always use it in Chinese recipes, for instance.

If you buy the already ground white pepper make sure to keep it tightly capped and away from heat and light, same as other seasonings and spices.

If you can get the whole white peppercorns to grind yourself, that's even better.

Try adding a little to tuna or egg salad instead of black pepper.  I use it in chicken soup instead of black pepper.  I use it when I make mashed potatoes or creamed soups.

Hope this helps.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Honored Contributor

I think it's both. There is a difference in flavor, black being stronger and white being more mild, but is the difference significantly noticeable? I don't think it's all that much.  The appearance comes into play too, if you want a pristine white sauce, for instance, or if it's ok to have black flecks in it. I have very few recipes that call for white pepper, nor do I mind black flecks in my "milk gravy".  Then there's the size of the grind too.  I prefer coarse ground over fine ground. 

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435,

Thank you for this post, it was helpful to me!

Happy Sunday

Honored Contributor

I use both however, not sure there is a difference except for the color--and some chefs don't like to see the black flecks in their sauces ---also the grind is different--white is a fine grind and black pepper --well you can grind it anyway from very coarse to very fine. For me the taste is the same. 

Respected Contributor

@Flatbush I think of white pepper as being a little lighter than black pepper, but a little spicier - and having a little kick.  I love it.  Although that seems to not be what others here have posted that they noticed, so that's interesting!

Esteemed Contributor

@Flatbush  I agree there is a difference. I have found white pepper to be spicier than most black pepper. Hotter. It's fun to experiment with both kinds in your regular dishes.

Respected Contributor

I'll  have to try them both. After reading  the responses, now I am really curious.

Another adventure for me Woman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

Re: BLACK vs WHITE PEPPER..? UPDATE...

UPDATE

Had a bit of trouble finding it,( even Trader Joe's did not carry it, ) but finally did at Smart And Final. I tried a bit in my hand then on a baked potato.

It has an earthy tatste to me. DH said it was milder than the black pepper.

I will try it on more foods, and will keep it along side with the black pepper.

So, Thanks for all the responces. 

Respected Contributor

I am very taste sensitive to Black pepper. It overwhelms the dish it is in for me.  On the flip side, my sister, who makes the plate look like its gotten a new layer of topsoil when she uses the black pepper,  says white pepper is so much hotter than the black pepper.

I like white pepper (which is back peppercorns that have the black covering washed off.)

I find white pepper milder and "warmer" than black pepper.

Because I don't use it alot, I buy whole white peppercorns and grind it as wanted. The whole peppercorns keep their flavor longer than pre-ground pepper.