Esteemed Contributor

BEEF BRISKET! Can someone help this poster?

AnikaBrodie asked this on the Recipe Thread for May

Honored Contributor
AnikaBrodie

Re: MAY 2021 RECIPE GAME

Does anyone have a good recipe for BEEF BRISKET?  In the crockpot?  In the oven?  At what temp?  For how long? 

TIA. 

"Today is full of possibilities not yet achieved." ~The Silver Fox~
Contributor

Re: BEEF BRISKET! Can someone help this poster?

They only sell flat cuts now. So it's not fatty. I put my in a large pan with a lot of onions, carrots and celery. I use salt, pepper and paprika to season. I add broth or water to pan to keep moist. I cover with foil. I cook it at 300 degrees about 4 hours. Internal temp around 180. Let sit in pan in oven for about and hour after it reaches temp with oven off. Let it cool well before slicing. Cut ACROSS the grain. I take the liquid with the vegetables and blend it. Put it in refrigerator before you do this to take fat off and let liquid become jelly like. Much easier that way.  good luck. It's a lot of work but worth it. It can be dry so you need the gravy and watch the temp. 

Honored Contributor

My friend used to make brisket that melted in your mouth.  She sealed it in aluminim foil wrap and baked it overnight at a low oven temperature.  However, I don't know what she used for seasining. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Frequent Contributor

put brisket in large pan

slice an onion and place on top of brisket with salt and pepper

mix together in a bowl one can of beer, 1/3 cup of brown sugar and 1/2 cup of chili sauce.  Pour over brisket.  Cover with foil and bake for 3-4 hours or longer at 325 degrees.  Let it sit for 15 minutes after it comes out of the oven.  Slice it across the grain.  I have not found anyone that doesn't like this.

Honored Contributor

I tore this slow-cooker recipe out of an issue of Cook's Country about 10 years ago.  It needs to marinate overnight before cooking:

1 tbsp vegetable oil

2 lbs onions, halved and sliced 1/2" thick

1 tbsp brown sugar

1 ibsp tomato paste

2 tbsp flour

3 tsp minced garlic

1 3/4 cups chicken broth

2 tbsp + 1 tsp red wine vinegar

1 tbsp paprika

2 tsp onion powder

1 tsp garlic powder

5 lb flat-cut beef brisket

3 bay leaves

Cook onions, brown sugar, and 1/4 tsp salt in hot oil in big skillet until golden.  Stir in tomato paste and flour for 2 minutes.  Stir in garlic.  Stir in broth and cook until thickened.  Off heat, stir in 2 tbsp vinegar and pour into bowl.  Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

Stir 1 tsp salt, paprika, onion and garlic powders in dish.  Poke brisket all over with fork.  Rub with spice mixture and wrap tightly in plastic wrap.  Refrigerate overnight.

In the morning, pour 1/2 of onion mixture into crockpot.  Stir in bay leaves and place brisket on top, fat side up.  Evenly pour rest of onion mixture on top.  Cook on high until fork-tender, 5-6 hours.  Let rest for 1/2 hour.

Place brisket on platter and tent with foil.  Remove bay leaves and simmer sauce in big skillet over high heat until thickened.  Skim fat, stir in 1 tsp vinegar, and serve with meat.   

Super Contributor

BEST BRISKET EVER.  Mustang, Ok newspaper 

2-3 lb flat cut brisket

SAlt and pepper to taste

score the meat and brown on all sides in large skillet

Place meat in crockpot or roasting pan.  
splash Worcestershire sauce and liquid smoke 1 TBS of each 

Shake on meat : 1 tsp. Onion powder, 1 tsp garlic powder, 2 tsp celery seed. 
In oven  275 degrees 5 hrs. Covered.  Or on High 4-5 hrs. In crockpot.  Low 8hrs.

Sure makes kitchen smell so good.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for all the responses.  I found Trisha Yearwood's recipe for slow cooker beef brisket and will make it that way.  This is the first time I've made a brisket so I hope it turns out well.  Smiley Happy

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

My husband can cook a tri-tip which, I think, is similar.  He trims the fat, wraps it in at least two layers of aluminum foil with bbq and onions.  Places in disposable aluminum pan and cooks on grill for 4-6 hours on low.  It's delicious!

Frequent Contributor

I put the briskett in heavy foil. Sprinkle Lipton Onion Soup over it and seal tightly. Cook at 300 about 4 to 5 hours in a baking dish.
Wonderful gravy, and it melts in your mouth.
Potatoes and veggies on the side.