Respected Contributor

Bean soup idea.......

If you have a HoneyBaked Ham store near you, it probably will have frozen ham bones for sale (many different sizes and prices) plus a bag of their signature Mixed Bean Soup Mix.

The bag contains multi-colored varieties of  beans, split peas, lentils, small limas, and a spice packet.

A recipe for the soup is on the bag.  It calls for celery, diced onions, whole tomatoes, chopped garlic and salt/pepper, and of course a ham bone.

It's soup season  and I will probably gravitate more toward soups than I ever have before.   The reason:   I've finally gotten DH to think soup might be good once in a while.  He never was a soup person before.

Respected Contributor

If anyone has a special bean soup or any favorite kind of soup recipes, I hope you will share them

Soup recipes are my new favorite collectibles.

Respected Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

If anyone has a special bean soup or any favorite kind of soup recipes, I hope you will share them

Soup recipes are my new favorite collectibles.

Wash beans, put in pot, no soaking over night, celery with leaves if you have them, onions chopped, stick of butter, pepper corns whole.chop up some ham in small pieces , cook awhile, mash a little with masher, make Jiffy corn bread muffins. enjoy. This is how I do it.

Esteemed Contributor

Image result for spanish bean soup

Garbanzo Bean Soup

Ingredients:

• 1 medium onion, minced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 medium bell pepper, chopped
  • 2 ounces olive oil
  • 1 Chorizo (Spanish Sausage)
  • 1/2 pound smoked ham
  • 1/4 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 15 oz can Garbanzos
  • 2 medium potatoes, diced 1/2 inch
  • Seasoning and coloring for yellow rice (Sazon)

Directions:

In large saucepan, fry onion, garlic and bell pepper in olive oil.

Add Chorizo, smoked ham and paprika. Fry until onions are tender, but not browned.

Add entire contents of Garbanzo can (including liquid) and also 1 ½  cans of water. Bring to a boil.

Add potatoes, salt and pinch of Vigo Flavoring and Coloring to obtain desired golden color.

Lower heat and cook for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.  Serves 4.

1/2-3/4 cups of dried beans = 1 15 oz can of beans!

Esteemed Contributor

@novamc1 

Cathy's Sister Debbie's Bean and Bacon Soup

Ingredients:

1-16 ounce package dry navy beans
1 lb. bacon – diced – I like to put the bacon in the freezer for about 10 min. before cutting
9 cups of liquid – a combination of chicken broth and water-I use at least 2 cans of broth
2 large onions, diced
3 or 4 ribs of celery depending on the size of the celery and how much you like it
1 bay leaf
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves (I just smash up some whole cloves with a meat pounder)
1-24to 28 ounce can whole tomatoes

Directions:

In and 8-quart Dutch oven or very heavy-bottomed pot over high heat, bring beans, water and chicken broth/water to boiling with the lid on. Boil for 2 minutes and remove from heat. Keep covered and let stand for an hour. Meanwhile cook bacon until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Hint: cooking at medium heat will make sure the bacon comes out golden and not burnt; it takes longer but it’s worth it. Spoon off all but ¼ cup of fat. In the same skillet with bacon and fat, cook onions and celery and ground cloves until they are tender, stirring occasionally – about 10 minutes. Stir bacon and onion celery mixture into undrained beans; add bay leaf, salt and pepper. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer mixture 1 ½ hours. When beans are tender, stir in tomatoes with liquid – breaking up tomatoes into small pieces. Cook covered for 30 minutes longer – or until beans are very tender and soup has thickened (make sure to stir occasionally). Discard bay leaf before serving.

Healthy option:
Cut up Kale or other greens and sauté with some of the leftover bacon drippings in the empty pan after you do the bacon, celery and onion. About 5 to10 minutes before you add the tomatoes, stir the wilted kale/greens into the pot. If you are using baby spinach, wait until just before the end of cooking to add to the pot and don’t sauté them at all.

Honored Contributor

I am making bean soup tomorrow. I have two large meaty ham shin bones from market and a couple of feet of smoked sausage from a local butcher who makes his sausage and smokes it himself.

I like mixed beans, but my DH likes the  traditional northern white beans, so that is what I am using.  I have three pounds of dried beans soaking.

To make the ham and sausage stock, I am adding carrots, onions and celery and bay leaves. When just about done, I will add diced potatoes.  I make it different each time, depending on my mood.

I like bean soup with a spritz of apple cider vinegar added to my bowl at the table.  My DH says that is gross, but it is really good.  My family always ate it this way.

Honored Contributor

I seriously doubt anyone here eats more dried beans than me and my family.   Pinto beans were probably one of the first finger foods put on our highchair tray.   

As far as beans, we like pinto, October, mixed, great northern, and navy.  I love Lima beans, split peas and lentils, but my husband draws a firm line with those.   

One of the things not allowed in this house, however, is that 15 bean soup mix!   

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Honey Baked soup mixes are so good! 

Have the bone and bean mix already here

Was just thinking of making it today or 

tomorrow.

Going to have first freeze in AL tonight

monke~

Respected Contributor

@novamc1    Thank you so much for the suggestion of the Honeybaked Ham store - ham bones & soup mix !  I will be going there next week !!!!

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

One of the things not allowed in this house, however, is that 15 bean soup mix!   

A few years ago, Bear Creek soup mixes were on sale so I tried a few.  I figured they were expensive so they must be good.  Wrong!  They were so salty, it makes me dry just thinking about them.  They must be very unhealthy.