Respected Contributor

@Knit-ChickIf Im going to a cookout,I usually bring a pea salad and lemon bars.

Respected Contributor

@wagirl Your recipi sounds interesting,and I would love to try.Anyway you could print this for me?Thanks bunches!

Honored Contributor

YES---here is is---

ORANGE BAKED BEANS

1/2 cup chopped celery

1/2 cup chopped onion

1- T butter

1--22oz can baked beans*

1/4 brown sugar

2- T catsup

1 -1/2 T orange juice concentrate

1- t yellow mustard

1--11 oz can of mandarin oranges, drained

In a large bowl combine the onion, celery and butter--microwave on high for 2-3 minutes or until tender.

Add remaining ingredients except for the oranges.

Microwave on high for 3 minutes. Mix in oranges and nuke again another 1-2 minutes or until heated thru.

Now as you can see this is an old time recipe from ages past when micro waves were the big thing. I make this on my stove top now. I reduce the amount of brown sugar to just a couple tablespoons.  Taste as you go. 

* I use Bush's Grillin' beans --any of them are good. Reg pork and beans seem a little bland to me. 

I have also been known to chopped, finely, jalapenos, maybe just a half of a med one,  and add to the celery -onion mix too. 

ENJOY!!!

Respected Contributor

@wagirl Thank you bunches.My baby bro loves b beans,so I am going to try.Sounds yummy

Respected Contributor

I can see thick porkchops and fried potatoes would be so good with these beans.Now I'm hungry.....

Honored Contributor

@Luvsmyfam --It's really a good recipe and gets better as it sits--if you think there may be too much liquid, drain the beans a little--I've done that, but drain into a bowl just in case you need to add it back. 

Respected Contributor

@wagirl Will remember this.Thanks

Esteemed Contributor

@wagirl  Thanks.  Will certainly try these.  Sound so good!

Respected Contributor

I always make a bean salad with black, pinto, wax, green and kidney beans with corn and diced red peppers and chopped onion.  It is in a sweet/sour vinaigrette.  I also include potato salad - my DH's favorite!

Trusted Contributor

@FastDogWalker2

Love marinated bean salad!  It tastes really good and is perfect for a bbq b/c it is easy to make, economical and makes a huge amount!