Esteemed Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

@mustang66lady

I did not even know they made that so I don't know if it tastes the same.  I have always made it this way.  Sorry. 

@DiAnne

Ok I think we have a starting point if you don't wish to cook sweetened condensed milk regardless of reason.  I found the caramel Eagle brand to be more the consistency of Eagle brand we all know and love.  The dulche de leche is thicker in my limited use.  I am guessing it is more the texture needed for this pie-correct?!   Thanks for your time and input!

Esteemed Contributor

@DiAnne

I had to come back here to confess I made this pie yesterday for our St. Paddy's day meal.  We can't get together as a family any closer to the 17th than yesterday so we had our corned beef and cabbage etc, yesterday.  I decided to make this pie but CHEATED big time-everyone loved it!   I bought a premade graham cracker crust, used the canned dulche de leche.  I did whip my own fresh cream with 3 tablespoons of powdered sugar instead of granulated. l sprinkled the top with chocolate sprinkles as I didn't have any other chocolate to grate on top.  My kids who will not eat banana pie even though they all love bananas, loved this!   It is rich but it was oh so good and with the shortcuts I took, made it easy and stressfree dessert for out meal.  Thank you so much for sharing this recipe!  I did find with the store bought crust, I only needed 2 bananas but they may have been a little bigger - I didn't consider them large but just wanted to share my experience.  Maybe my store bought crust was a little smaller than a homemade but I didn't think it was that much smaller.  A bigger crust would require 2 cans of dulce de leche-at least that is what i would do. 

Great recipe!  It is in my files titled "Irish recipes." 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@mustang66lady

Thanks for getting back to me and glad it worked out for you.  I am simmering a can of condensed milk as a I type this - planning to make a pie tomorrow to take to a dinner.  I am now going to smash up a Heath bar to sprinkle over top of pie.