Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Thought I would post this since St Patrick's Day is almost here.  

1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
1-1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
6 T sugar, divided
5 T butter melted
3 med bananas, sliced
1-1/2 cups heavy cream
1 t vanilla extract
1/2 cups shaved chocolate

Set can of condensed milk in a medium saucepan with water 3/4 way up.  Simmer over low heat adding water as needed about 3 hours.  Remove can and let cool.  Do not open hot can.

Meanwhile heat oven to 325 degrees.  Mix crumbs, 3 T sugar in a bowl.  Add butter and stir with a  fork until well blended.  Dump crumbs into 9 inch glass pie pan and spread evenly over the bottom and up the sides.  Bake about 15 minutes.  Cool to room temperature.

Whip cream to fairly stiff peaks with remaining sugar and vanilla extract.  

To assemble spread cooled condensed milk over pie crust, top with sliced bananas and then the whipped cream.  Sprinkle with chocolate and refrigerate until ready to serve.  Can be made a few hours before serving. 

I have heard so many tales about the condensed milk can exploding I am always nervous when I do this but it has always been fine.  I use crushed toffee to sprinkle over pie instead of chocolate.  

Honored Contributor

Sounds delicious, and I even like the name of it-- so Irish!

Honored Contributor

It does sound dangerous.  A closed can in simmering water 3/4 up for three hours?  I wouldn't risk it!

Esteemed Contributor

@DiAnne

Borden's makes a caramel Eagle Brand Milk now-would it be the same to use it instead of having to cook the regular Eagle Brand Milk?   It would save time and no one would have to worry about anything exploding or going wrong with cooking the regular.  I have never had this pie and would like to try it but for time sake, would like to take the "short cut" if you think the taste would be the same.  Thanks for your input and for sharing this recipe!

Respected Contributor

DiAnne wrote, in part:  ". . . I have heard so many tales about the condensed milk can exploding I am always nervous when I do this but it has always been fine."

This happened to me once.  I thought I had let the can cool enough, but as soon as I punctured the lid to open it, hot caramel erupted like Mt. Vesuvius.  Be careful! 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

It does sound dangerous.  A closed can in simmering water 3/4 up for three hours?  I wouldn't risk it!

It's the reason I won't make it!  That just scares the heck out of me.

Respected Contributor

Re: BANOFFEE PIE

[ Edited ]

My friends and I have made the sweetened condensed milk into carmel for years with no problems.  We call it "Danger Pudding" and it is delicious.We just make it and then eat it from a spoon, on ice cream,cake,apple slices,etc.  There is a crock pot method floating around on the  internet that is supposed to be safer. I,however, like to live on the edge and make it the regular way,lol. 

Esteemed Contributor

@mustang66lady wrote:

@DiAnne

Borden's makes a caramel Eagle Brand Milk now-would it be the same to use it instead of having to cook the regular Eagle Brand Milk?   It would save time and no one would have to worry about anything exploding or going wrong with cooking the regular.  I have never had this pie and would like to try it but for time sake, would like to take the "short cut" if you think the taste would be the same.  Thanks for your input and for sharing this recipe!

Yes, Eagle brand Dulce de leche.  Thats what I would use if I were to make this recipe, @mustang66lady.  I think it would work just fine.  

Respected Contributor

@DiAnne, II have heard about "cooking" condensed milk for years and years.  It seems to be a favorite in Hispanic and South American desserts. If you let it go long enough, it solidifies to the point where you can slide it out of the cooled can and cut it into slices and serve on pineapple rings.....

I am an accident waiting to happen, and I know people who have cooked condensed milk in the can since they were little and no explosions ever occurred....BUT.... I am a worry wart and years in laboratories have made me Sally Safety.

The possible solution instead of cooking a closed can is Dulce de Leche.  Here, it's side by side the sweetened condensed milk, and if it's not there, check the Hispanic section. It's spreadable caramelized sweetened condensed milk.

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

@mustang66lady

I did not even know they made that so I don't know if it tastes the same.  I have always made it this way.  Sorry.