Honored Contributor

BAKED POLENTA WITH SAUSAGE AND ARTICHOKE HEARTS

I tried four new casserole-type recipes lately. This is the only one worth sharing. I will definitely be repeating it!

2 t olive oil
1/2 white onion, thinly sliced
1 pound sweet Italian sausage, bulk or casings removed
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
3/4 cup marinated artichoke hearts, coarsely chopped
salt and pepper
1 tube (18 oz) prepared polenta, cut in 1/4 inch rounds
1/3 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped

Preheat oven to 400. In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened. Add sausage and cook breaking up meat, until browned (about 8 minutes). Add garlic and bell pepper and cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds). Remove from heat and stir in artichokes. Season with salt and pepper.

In a 2 qt. baking dish, layer polenta rounds and spoonfuls of sausage mixture. Pour stock over the top and bake until bubbling and polenta is pale golden. 20-25 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.

It says it serves four but with a large green salad I think it serves more like 6.

Valued Contributor

Re: BAKED POLENTA WITH SAUSAGE AND ARTICHOKE HEARTS

This sounds so good, yet easy. Will try. Thanks for posting

Honored Contributor

piperbay - I hope you enjoy it. I try to eat healthy but Italian sausage is my downfall!

Honored Contributor

Hi DiAnne....this sounds really different! I have never tried polenta of any kind. Time to try new things in 2014!!

What section of the grocery store would you find a prepared tube of it? Refrig/dairy? Frozen? Mexican aisle?

What does it taste like?

TIA!!

Trusted Contributor

RespectLife, polenta is made from cornmeal, and can either be creamy like a porridge or firm so you can slice it (and fry it, if you like). It is an Italian dish, so it might be with the refrigerated tortellinis, raviolis and such. I have never seen it frozen. In my grocery store, it is in the refrigerated section of the produce department (also you can buy polenta in the Italian aisle, but you have to prepare it yourself), but it may be located in a different spot in your store. Ask if you don't see it.

The prepared polenta looks like this:

DiAnne--your recipe sounds delicious! I might just give it a try {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Honored Contributor

Wow Vamp! Thanks so much for all the info! Italian, huh? I'm Italian and I don't think anyone in my family ever made it! The one w/ Basil and Garlic pictured sounds delicious! I am going to have to hunt it down!!

DiAnne...Speaking of the hunt...on an old note...I FINALLY found chipotle chiles in adobo!! They were in the Chipotle-Maple Black Beans recipe you posted back in July!

http://community.qvc.com/forums/recipe/topic/390349/chipotle-maple-black-beans.aspx

Absolutely a delish, fast side dish! I make it often but now will make it correctly!

I ordered them from the Spice House!! I could not find those things anywhere!! Someone on RS suggested the Spice House for other items...and boom! They had the cans! I tasted last night and love the flavor. I was definite missing that flavor when I have made your bean recipe without them.

Right now a couple teaspoons are in the slow cooker with the Smoked Pea Soup I am making! Hope they aren't too hot! LOL Soup is for DH and he is a wimp! Pea Soup ...I can not do! My humble apologies to all pea soup lovers! LOL

Now the hunt starts for the polenta shown above....and continues for Expresso Powder which still eludes me!

Honored Contributor

RespectLife - I am glad you found the chipotle chiles. I take the ones I did not use and individually freeze them since a little smoked jalapeno goes a long way!! I think you will have an easier time finding the tube of polenta as every store where I live seems to carry them.

Honored Contributor

Thanks DiAnne...glad you saw my message.

I think I better freeze them...you are right...you only need a little. I just put them in the frig. Considering Mr. Wimpo Man's taste buds...I have to use them sparingly and I will be much better off freezing them so they last and last!

Do you freeze them in a freezer bag or tiny container?

So helpful! Thanks!

Honored Contributor

EVERYTHING tastes great on polenta!

Frequent Contributor

Thank you for posting this! I made it the other day without the red peppers ( they don't sit well with my heartburn) but I have to say it was very good! Def will make it again. I had never heard of polenta - something new and different. I got all the ingredients at trader joes.