Frequent Contributor

@Noel7

Thank you for the link. I love avocados,learned more benefits from your link. I love them in salads,in a bowl with greens,on toast with poached egg. I'm not fond of guacamole, I prefer avocados in their natural state. 

In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves ~ Buddha ~
Valued Contributor

@Honeybit

There is one other thread I found through a search called "What is your favorite way to prepare avocado?"

It's a thread from 2014, though....

Here's a recipe I posted in 2012 - and another time, also:

Hi! I posted this last May...(Wow...doesn't seem like it was that long ago!) I was organizing my tried/true recipes on the computer and came across it again. It's in my FAVORITES Folder for sure. The avacado adds a great touch...to me

She served this with Scoops, but not the Frito flavor...they are similar to tortilla chips, but SCOOPS It was a big hit at her party!

Julie's Cowboy Salsa

1 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and washed
1 (15 ounce) cans corn (I get the one with no salt added)<--thinking drained
1 medium tomato, diced
1 small red onion, diced
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 bunch chopped cilantro
2 avocados, diced

Directions

Mix all ingredients together. Top with Avocado just before serving.

Trusted Contributor

@DiamondGirly

Hi, DG, thanks for your recipe -- I love that combination of flavors.   Thanks for looking for the thread, but it was in that two- or three- month time span where all the posts were dropped when Q went to the new format.  Somebody had added a post to the long thread of LilBitMissty's recipes so it moved into that time span and was lost, too.  I even tried the "Wayback Machine" on the Internet Archive but those posts weren't captured there either.

As a friend of mine used to say, "It makes me tore up, bothered, pestered and peeved!"

Honored Contributor

I have always liked them.

Honored Contributor

@Honeybit wrote:

When they first opened the Cheddar's Restaurant near me, they had a wonderful sandwich with grilled chicken breast and sliced avocado with a seasoned mayonnaise.  Sadly it didn't stay on the menu long, but I ate it every chance I had.

At home I usually just eat plain avocado sliced with a little lime juice sprinkled on it.

I'm still mourning a wonderful "How Do You Use Avocados Besides Guacamole" thread which was running here on Recipe Swap just before the last format change.  It had some great ideas but it went into the black hole of threads that didn't carry over before I got it copied.  Really Rotten Timing!

@Honeybit,All Recipes and Recipies dot com are both great sites to get great dishes!

Honored Contributor

@grandma2pkmh wrote:

Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess I won't give up yet.  I think I will buy a Haas & slice it and try it with different spices. Maybe one will surprise me. 

@grandma2pkmh. Try the avocado with a little bottled salad dressing on it.  Italian is good.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@ncascade wrote:

Have always LOVED avocados even when they were NOT good for you. Had them one time (at a dinner party) stuffed w/shrimp mixture and baked. Delicious! Like them in salad also.

@Group 5 minus 1That sounds fabulous, do you have any idea how it was done with the shrimp?

Respected Contributor

@grandma2pkmh   

I'm right there with you !  I've heard so many good things about avocados and I give them a try once in a while, thinking that I will 'grow to like them'....NOT HAPPENING !  UGH !

Super Contributor

Depending on the size I fill a half or quarter piece with tuna or chicken salad for lunch. For breakfast add a drizzle of truffle oil and chopped bacon to avacado toast..

I finally learned that avacados keep beautifully in the fridge till I need one. And for a long time. Makes it very practical to buy them at Costco.

Honored Contributor

I love avocados in any form--and when they are on sale for 50 cents each, I usually buy a bunch, then slice them up and freeze them to add to my morning smoothies. Taste good, adds a creaminess and good fat to all the vegs I use in those smoothies.