Honored Contributor

I was watching Hod & Jenna this morning and they showed a short clip of a lady showing how to save half and avocado.  All she did was take the avocado half with the pit in it and submerge it face down in water.  Makes sense since it's air exposure that turns them brown.  It's the same concept as butter keepers.

If I'm making guacamole which is 99% of what I use avocados for, I always use the whole avocado and make sure to eat the rest of it the following day.  I'm still wishing for a way to save whole avocados. Someone mentioned you could freeze them whole, but I tried that but the texture just isn't the same.

Honored Contributor

I usually coat the unused half with lemon juice. It does a good job but it's not foolproof.

Honored Contributor

I put the leftover halves in a sandwich bag in the fridge and have avocado toast for breakfast the next day.  If an avocado starts to get ripe sitting on counter I put it in fridge and it gives you a couple extra days to use them.

Honored Contributor

i leave the pit in the unused half and squeeze lemon or lime juice on top.

i place it in the smallest lock and lock it can fit in.

it works.

another tip if you make guacamole. put the pits into the guacamole and it helps keep the guacamole from browning too much. it also helps to squeeze lemon or lime on top of that also along with lock and lock storage.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Valued Contributor

If I have a leftover half avocado I just lightly scrape off the thin layer of brown before eating.

Honored Contributor

I just eat the whole thing all at once!

Respected Contributor

I’ve tried the lemon juice hack, the onions, olive oil with foil and as it happens I had half an avocado as part of my lunch today: the other half is now sitting facedown in a bowl of water. 😁 I’ll try to remember and post results tomorrow. 

Respected Contributor

@DiAnne 

That's essentially what I do. 

When I know I'm going to be having avocado toast for a couple of days (DH doesn't like it), I just tightly wrap the unused half in Saran wrap, and refrigerate. Even without lemon juice, it doesn't turn brown.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

leaving the pit in the unused half and sprinkling with lenmon juice is what I do but I use it up the next day too. and when avocados were really cheap--50 cents each---I would buy 20 of them, cut them in slices and freeze them for my a.m. smoothies.

Respected Contributor

@tucsongal wrote:

I’ve tried the lemon juice hack, the onions, olive oil with foil and as it happens I had half an avocado as part of my lunch today: the other half is now sitting facedown in a bowl of water. 😁 I’ll try to remember and post results tomorrow. 

——————

Well, the water worked! And the easiest method too.