Honored Contributor

Avocado Chicken Salad Recipe

Avocado_Chicken_Salad_Recipe.jpg

Sure, chicken salad is a classic...but boy is it outdated. Remember when adding grapes to chicken salad was the greatest thing to ever happen to, well, chicken salad? It was exciting. It was delicious. It was 100 years ago. It’s time to really update this old-school dish, and it all begins with our favorite fruit—avocado. Thanks to this naturally creamy ingredient, this chicken salad recipe is chock full of healthy fats, light on the mayo and totally delicious. Looks like you've found your new lunch (or potluck) staple. Enjoy it on toasted bread, crunchy crackers or hey, straight out of the jar with a spoon. Did we mention it pairs wonderfully with a California Chardonnay? Just saying.

4 to 6 servings

INGREDIENTS

Meat from 1 rotisserie chicken, chopped

1 bunch scallions, chopped

4 stalks celery, chopped

2 avocados, 1 halved and 1 chopped

¼ cup lemon juice

¼ cup olive oil

2 tablespoons rice vinegar

2 tablespoons mayonnaise

½ cup parsley leaves

¼ cup chopped dill

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

DIRECTIONS

1. In a large bowl, toss the chicken, scallions and celery to combine. Gently stir in the chopped avocado and 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice.

2. In a blender, combine the remaining avocado and lemon juice. Add the olive oil, vinegar, mayonnaise, parsley and dill. Puree until smooth. The mixture should be thick and about the consistency of mayonnaise. (If needed, thin the mixture with 1 to 2 tablespoons water.)

3. Pour the dressing over the chicken mixture and gently toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper.

4. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to serve. (We like it on toasted bread or sturdy whole-grain crackers.) The salad will keep, refrigerated, for up to 2 days.

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Respected Contributor

Re: Avocado Chicken Salad Recipe

Sounds delicious 😋 thanks

Honored Contributor

@Leggett28 wrote:

Sounds delicious 😋 thanks

Good for leftover chicken. We usually grill weekly. And LOVE avocado

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Esteemed Contributor

This looks yummy.  Thanks for sharing @Chi-town girl. 😊

I've never used rice vinegar when cooking, so I'm curious about that.  My husband really likes avocado and chicken, so I have a feeling this will be something he'll really like.  I'll see if I can pick up the ingredients this week to try.  

Respected Contributor

Sounds quite yummy.

Going to give it a try. Thanks. 

-Texas Hill Country-
Esteemed Contributor

I was able to pick up everything last night except the rotisserie chicken.  Will try to go out to get one this afternoon.  I told my husband about it and he's intrigued.  I appreciate being able to try something new.  😊

On a side note, I smiled at the part where it said remember when adding grapes to chicken salad was the greatest thing to happen?  I do remember the first time I had grapes in my chicken salad and thought it was a great idea and wondered why I hadn't tried that before.  I have a feeling I'm going to feel the same way about adding avocado.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for this.  Looks wonderful, never had anything with this mix of ingredients.

Honored Contributor

Looks yummy!  Thanks!Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@Chi-town girl 

Thank you so much! This recipe is delicious. I'm always looking for different ways to do chicken salad. This is definitely a keeper! Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Chi-town girl ðŸ˜Š I was able to get a rotisserie chicken this afternoon.  I just finished making this recipe and it is yummy!  So easy too!  Seems like I've had something like this at a restaurant.  Never would have guessed I could make it on my own at home.  I really appreciate your sharing.