Respected Contributor

Autumn Chopped Salad

[ Edited ]

@Lola  shared this a few years ago.  It is a favorite on the Gs' table.  I have served this as large full-meal salads in late Summer.  We thoroughly enjoyed it this evening in smaller portions, before ham and sweet potatoes. Thank you, LoLa!

Autumn Chopped Salad
QVC Recipe Swap | Started 09/23/2013 by LoLa

6 cups chopped romaine lettuce
3 slices center-cut bacon
1 pear, chopped
1 apple, chopped
3 Tablespoons chopped walnuts
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/4 cup Poppy Seed Salad Dressing (like Brianna's HomeStyle, or see                                                                   below)
2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar (or more or less)

Lay bacon strips down on a folded paper towel on a microwave-safe plate, then cover with another folded paper towel. Microwave for 1 minute then rotate the plate 1/4 turn and microwave for 30 more seconds. Continue rotating and cooking in 30 second increments until the bacon is crisp, then let cool and chop up.

Add cooled bacon, romaine lettuce, pear, apple, peanuts, dried cranberries, and feta cheese into a very large bowl, then add salad dressing and balsamic vinegar to taste.

Toss well then serve immediately.

Mrs. G's note:  Your favorite dry white wine will pair well with this.  

Lemon Poppyseed Dressing

1/3 cup plus 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup plus 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons honey
1 1/4 teaspoons onion powder
½ teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/4 cups grapeseed oil
1/4 cup plus 1 Tablespoon poppy seeds

Whisk together vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, honey, onion powder, and salt in a bowl. Slowly drizzle in grapeseed oil, whisking constantly, until combined. Stir the poppy seeds into the mixture.

Pour salad dressing over salad and toss.

Mrs. G. note:  I cut this in half, and still have enough leftover for a few other salads. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Regular Contributor

This sounds so good! Thanks so much for sharing. I can't wait to make this.!

Regular Contributor

Boy does this sound yummy.  I could even see it as a full meal.  I love salads for a meal.  Too bad my dear hubby would not consider this as a meal.  But, he doesn't eat many veggies either.  Am I the only one who has a picky veggie eater?  I mean, green beans, corn, lima beans and sometimes carrots and sweet potatos.  That about covers his range of veggies.  Me, I love them all........could easily eat nothing but veggies and some chicken or fish every once in a while. 

Respected Contributor

@Texussgal ......are we married to the same guy? I could eat salads every meal and be happy, and any veggie any time. Not him ! 

This recipe sounds yummy (:

Regular Contributor

Maybe they are triplets.  Mine is already a twin!  LOL  I could live on salads and/or veggies.  Throw in the occasional chicken breast and fish and I would be a happy camper.  We had some ground beef tonight and it has been so long since I have had red meat it kinda upset my stomach.  Wonder how long it will take to digest the stuff.......ugh.  I had some rotiserre chicken last night and it was good, but hubby wanted beef tonight and I wish I had passed on it.  Aren't these guys of ours weird?  I know they would say WE are, but I think THEY are!!  Hugs sweetie.  Thanks for the chuckle too!!!  I needed it.

Respected Contributor

@Texussgal......I rarely have beef too ! Chicken and fish mostly for me as well......hope your tummy feels better ! 

What are we gonna do with all these beef and potatoes guys !

Regular Contributor

I'm not sure sweetie, but after 23 yrs of picky eating, he now fixes his own meals. If it is something he thinks I might like, he will fix mine too, but I'm mostly on my own as our tastes are definitely NOT on the same page anymore.  Guess it isn't really a big deal, but shopping is sometimes a big challenge, LOL!! 

Respected Contributor

I agree , shopping is challenging ! Mine is happiest when he can throw some Costco steaks on the bar b que and eat those, even reheat over several days. Even for breakfast LOL ! If we go get pizzas, his is all meat and cheese, and mine is all veggies and cheese (: 

sigh......I miss the good salad bar restaurants, they seem to be hard to find any more. (:

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG, Thank you for posting this recipe. It sounds delicious, as Lola's recipes usually were wonderful. Do you know if she still posts here? I don't come over here much anymore. Thank you again. 

Honored Contributor

There is something about the name chopped salad that makes me not want to eat it, I don't know why.

I know that sounds completely ridiculous because just about every thing in a salad is chopped and I do eat salads.