Honored Contributor

Re: Aunt Bertie’s scalloped potatoes

I always make scalloped potatoes this way and I never heard of Aunt Bertie.  If I don’t have heavy cream, which I usually don’t, i just use the 2% milk or half and half that is in my refrigerator and add a few pats of butter.

Sometimes I add cheese, onions or ham and always fresh parsley. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Wasn't there a poster named Aunt Bertie........way back when?

hi @Desertdi - yes there certainly was an Aunt Bertie, may she rest in peace. She was one of my dearest friends, and was a friend to many of the posters. She and I would speak on the phone all the time and we used to make each other laugh ourselves silly.

She had the biggest heart, but sadly, she got very sick and passed away. I still have a photo of her beautiful little granddaughter on my desktop. She was a baby at the time. I'm guessing she's about 12 now, and I always felt so sad that she'd never know her Grandma Bertie. 

And from what I heard, her potatoes were spectacular!!!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@2zbeachand@ allswell Thanks for bringing this recipe to light! I've got the cream from Easter and a couple of cans of evap. milk from all those squash pies at TG and Christmas.  Never even Thought of using it up with Scalloped potatoes!  Thanks!

Respected Contributor

I've been making Aunt Berties potatoes for years, ever since she posted it.

One of my favorite recipes I have gotten from here!

I sometimes add cheese and ham, but it's pretty much a recipe you can't mess up

Respected Contributor

@sunala wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

Wasn't there a poster named Aunt Bertie........way back when?

hi @Desertdi - yes there certainly was an Aunt Bertie, may she rest in peace. She was one of my dearest friends, and was a friend to many of the posters. She and I would speak on the phone all the time and we used to make each other laugh ourselves silly.

She had the biggest heart, but sadly, she got very sick and passed away. I still have a photo of her beautiful little granddaughter on my desktop. She was a baby at the time. I'm guessing she's about 12 now, and I always felt so sad that she'd never know her Grandma Bertie. 

And from what I heard, her potatoes were spectacular!!!

Gosh, Sunny, has it really been THAT long!? I really miss Aunt Bertie- we all had such fun on the boards back then..and I still make many of the recipes we all shared.. Remember our "cookbook" that someone (forgive me for not remembering who) compiled with all of our recipes? 

Back then I was  "stilltamn8r", and on these boards a lot...Seems like yesterday in many ways....

Honored Contributor

My version is similar, but I grate parmasean cheese on each layer with salt and pepper, then cover with heavy cream.

Valued Contributor

Made these last night. So very good. It was my first time making them, so I just did the potatoes and cream. I think I may use some parmesan next time I make them, but they were delicious.

cookin

Respected Contributor

@cookinfreak  How about that, I made them for the first time Yesterday TOO!  Just the taters and cream and they were indeed delicious! 

Respected Contributor

Yummy recipe that is used often. I so enjoyed her posts and now I have the memory of her everytime I make this.

I also loved the banana bread recipe from another poster....I am drawing a blank now on the name.

doxie

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

That sounds like a great recipe.   About how thick do you slice the potatoes?

I may make that when some friends come to dinner in a few days.