Respected Contributor

Attn: LICORICE Lovers - Pls Explain

[ Edited ]

I finallly found some licorice (candy) that I absolutely love.  Now, I'm looking for licorice gum.

Can someone explain to me why some licorice has anise and some has fennel?   Why?

Edit:

One more question ... I think a few months ago someone posted that licorice raises blood pressure.  Is that true?

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

Re: Attn: LICORICE Lovers - Pls Explain

I would like to know the difference too...funny I had a craving for licorice today!

Esteemed Contributor

Anise is a member of the parsley family and has a flavor similar to that of licorice root. The part that is most often used to get the licorice flavor is the seed. Anise is used in many of the same ways that licorice root is used.

A decent second choice: Licorice root. Both fennel and anise taste very similar to licorice root, which makes it a good substitute for both of them. It can be used in both savory and sweet dishes just like anise and fennel seed.

A high salt diet may exacerbate adverse effects of licorice including water retention and hypertension. Avoid whole or licorice root if you have high blood pressure, kidney or liver disease, diabetes or heart disease, are pregnant or are breastfeeding. You should not take licorice root for longer than 6 weeks.

@RinaRina- they have similar flavor to licorice root and yes licorice root can raise blood pressure.  I use to love Black Jack gum.

Honored Contributor

The only licorice flavored candy I like is black jelly beans.  The only place I ever see them is at Walgreens.  I buy myself a bag every Easter and must get there this week for my annual treat.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Blackjack gum. If I’m not mistaken Cracker Barrel sells it as well as Teaberry which I loved as a kid.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RinaRina Yes, I have also heard that licorice can raise blood pressure. Hey, that's what they have blood pressure meds for, right? I have star anise in my spice cabinet for baking. I've never thought about what kind of licorice flavoring goes into my favorite licorice. I assumed it was licorice root extract. I don't like licorice flavor in savory dishes. I only like it in candy and, well Sambuca. Being a licorice addict, I have been on the wagon for about a year. I avoid the candy aisles and don't go to the farmer's markets where they sell pipes. Gee, thanks for bringing it up and triggering my cravings. Just kidding, sort of. I am pretty strong.

Esteemed Contributor

@OKPrincesswrote:

Blackjack gum. If I’m not mistaken Cracker Barrel sells it as well as Teaberry which I loved as a kid.

@OKPrincess- I've seen it.  They sell all the good stuff.

Regular Contributor

OKPrincess, that's funny I remember Blackjack gum from when I was a kid because my mom liked to chew that gum and Clove gum, too.

gum.jpg

Honored Contributor

Just remember:    Licorice is a laxative (!!)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@Pipsqueakwrote:

OKPrincess, that's funny I remember Blackjack gum from when I was a kid because my mom liked to chew that gum and Clove gum, too.

gum.jpg

Becca Lou wrote: Memories, Memories, When I was a kid my Grandmother and our Family Doctor always gave us this gum , also Juicy Fruit, My grandmothers favoite,type of gum.Every once in a while I see it in the "Family Tree'.