Esteemed Contributor

Re: Asparagus is in season...many ways to cook it

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@tiny 2 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Love asparagus. Lately I buy the fat ones and just simmer in water for a few minutes till tender. Delicious fresh taste.

Most of my other veggies I like roasted or grilled.

@proudlyfromNJ, I like the fat ones also. For years I believed and always purchased the tiny new thin asparagus. Once I  was forced to buy the larger type because that was all that was available and discovered that Emeril was wrong. The large ones had so much more flavor. As much as I love roasted vegetables, I do not care for roasted asparagus.

@tiny 2.  I did the same thing. Always the thin ones. My friend always told me to buy the thinnest ones you could. Last time she ate at my house and I served fat ones, she and her husband looked at each other and made a face. Don’t know if I convinced them!

@proudlyfromNJ  and @tiny 2  I'm always surprised when people look for the thin ones. When I was growing up, we had an asparagus bed. I would start at the end of March and walk up and down the bed, watching for the heads to poke out. We allowed the thin ones to go to seed, so they would come back thicker the next year. I love asparagus roasted plain or with prosciutto wrapped around.

Honored Contributor

Spoiler
We like asparagus too and eat it often. I prefer the fat ones as I peel the stalks and then steam them. Also like to roast them too. A little lemon juice and salt and yummy.
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I've made Marta Stewart's asparagus and gruyere tart many times. It was in one of her Everyday Cooking cookbooks. You just score a sheet of puffed pastry, put shredded gruyere on top, line up thin asparagus on top, and bake. Really nice for a brunch buffet or appetizer. 

I also like making asparagus and salmon pasta with a cream sauce.

Respected Contributor

@pinkmochi 

I'd be interested in knowing  how you prepare your asparagus and salmon pasta dish.

Could  be something I would like to try!

Esteemed Contributor

Shrimp and Asparagus over Penne

Cook: 8 oz penne in boiling water.

Saute:  in 2 Tbsp olive oil

1 clove garlic

8 oz asparagus

(cut into 1/4" pieces) Cook stalks 3 mins, add tips, cook another 3  mins.

Add:  1 fresh tomato chopped small

Cover and set aside.

Saute in: 2 Tbsp olive oil

1 clove garlic and cook until golden.  Do not burn!

Add: 8 shrimp (peeled and deveined) and cook until pink.

Add veggies to shrimp.  Salt and pepper to taste. 

Pour wine over all if desired.  (Great without it)

Serve over a plate of cooked penne.  Beautiful and delicious dish!

Image result for shrimp and asparagus over Penne

Trusted Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

@pinkmochi 

I'd be interested in knowing  how you prepare your asparagus and salmon pasta dish.

Could  be something I would like to try!

@novamc1  I just made the dish up when I needed a pantry meal. Woman Tongue I used canned salmon from Trader Joe's. For the sauce, I cut thin asparagus on the bias into 1-inch or so pieces, added minced garlic and olive oil, saute for a few minutes (make sure it's still green and fresh-looking), add the canned salmon and flake it, add herbs (oregano, basil, etc.), and add some heavy whipping cream. Toss with penne or whatever pasta you want. I made this once for Valentine's Day and actually pulled out the wedding gift good China. It's a quick weekday meal, or it can feel fancy. Sorry that I don't have any measurements. I kind of cook by feel. (Baking is a different story.)

Respected Contributor

@pinkmochi 

@Zhills 

Thanks so much.  You gave me some ideas.

I'm thinking an Alfredo sauce might be good with the asparagus and  types of seafood.

I have always made Alfredo sauce for pasta using whipping cream and shredded Parmesan.  Usually made it with Kielbasa-type sausage and added frozen peas, some green pepper and onion.

But recently discovered how much easier and equally good it is to buy either the RANA or BUITONI brands of refrigerated Alfredo sauces.  (Have never tried jars of Alfredo pasta sauce and never will).

I'll bet the refrigerated type would work with some variation of the dishes you two have posted.

Many thanks, from a bored cook who needs some new inspration.!!

Esteemed Contributor

@novamc1 - You may have tried this before, but when I want to "dress up" asparagus (or many other green veggies), my all-time favorite sauce is hollandaise . . . SO good! I especially love a ham dinner with asparagus and some hollandaise for dipping.

Trusted Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

@pinkmochi 

@Zhills 

Thanks so much.  You gave me some ideas.

I'm thinking an Alfredo sauce might be good with the asparagus and  types of seafood.

I have always made Alfredo sauce for pasta using whipping cream and shredded Parmesan.  Usually made it with Kielbasa-type sausage and added frozen peas, some green pepper and onion.

But recently discovered how much easier and equally good it is to buy either the RANA or BUITONI brands of refrigerated Alfredo sauces.  (Have never tried jars of Alfredo pasta sauce and never will).

I'll bet the refrigerated type would work with some variation of the dishes you two have posted.

Many thanks, from a bored cook who needs some new inspration.!!

@novamc1 That's a good quick dinner idea, too! I should also try store-bought Alfredo with asparagus and chicken. Yum!