Respected Contributor

Are you an inveterate ingredients list reader on food labels?

I am. I like to know what I'm eating.

On my last Walmart grocery order, I tried Fresh Cravings Mediterranean Hummus for the first time. It was yummy.

But the ingredients on my container didn't match the ones on Walmart's website. Specifically, there's a warning: CONTAINS SESAME. Good! I love tahini, but there was no tahini listed in the ingredients.

Also, one of the ingredients was "kalamata-style olives." I love kalamata olives, but do I like something that LOOKS like a kalmata olive? Are they harvested from trees that look like kalamata trees? Would the FDA agree that it's okay to list something that resembles a kalamata olive as an actual ingredient?

So I called the manufacturer and asked. The woman who answered didn't know. She offered me a gift card because of the inconvenience. I told her it wasn't a loss-of-money issue. I ate and liked the hummus.

She said she would pass my questions on and I'd hear from them. I haven't.

Honored Contributor

Re: Are you an inveterate ingredients list reader on food labels?

I have become more of a label reader in my older years, I especially check sodium and sugar amounts. I follow Bobby Parrish , he does blogs and cookbooks etc. and is a strict Keto dieter. Now I'm not a strict anything, I have learned about quality of cooking oils and food info in general. He can be over the top, but he does give some valuable information.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

tahini = sesame seeds, ground + olive oil

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

No.

Honored Contributor

NO, I do not read labels.  I prepare and eat the same foods over and over, stick to the same brands, and hardly ever buy anything new.  

Respected Contributor

@PickyPicky3 I always read ingredients  In detail.  I have things I need to avoid and some things that I want to avoid.  Plus I like to be informed.  If I go shopping without my reading glasses, I feel lost!

Respected Contributor

It is amaxing how little some companies even know about the products they sell. i needed to know what kind of sweetener was in Activia yogurt. No info on the label of the multipacks I buy or on the website. Called the company (dannon) and was passed to three people. Never got an answer. No coupon, etiher!

Respected Contributor

No, I do not read labels. I probably should but...Que Sera, Sera.😲 

I was interested in this hummus you mentioned, though. I've always bought and liked the Sabra brand but Walmart no longer carries it. I've seen the Fresh Cravings and now just might give it a try since you said you did like the taste.  

Respected Contributor

Reading labels is crucial to know what you are buying and putting in your body. If you can't pronounce it, pass it by.

Trusted Contributor

I ALWAYS read the ingredients on ALL food labels.