Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

A few years ago I purchased Eggland's Best.  I did not like the taste at all.  It did not taste like an egg.  Never again.  Give me the regular eggs from the farm.

I thought I was the only one that didn't like Eggland's Best and refuse to buy them no matter how cheap they are when on sale.

Not because of the taste but because no matter how much butter or oil I put in the pan they would stick.

Honored Contributor

Eggs from your local farmer of course are a lot better for you. When I buy them at the store I buy brown eggs. I don't buy white eggs because they taste eggy so I won't eat them. I know they say there is no difference but there is a taste difference IMO.

Honored Contributor

Whenever I can I buy fresh eggs at farm stands.  Nothing beats those eggs!  Worth the extra cost.

Honored Contributor

Re: Are Eggs All The Same

[ Edited ]

I’ve been buying Kirkland Organic Cage Free Eggs (brown) at Costco for years.  They were the best I’ve had access to until now.  I recently switched to pasture raised (also brown) that I’m now able to obtain from a local mini farm. They cost more but I believe the are worth the expense.  I actually bought a co-op share the other day guaranteeing 1 dozen eggs every week for 12 weeks.  When that ends I can sign up again. 

Respected Contributor

@CelticCrafter @Katcat1  Totally agree.  I threw away half a carton of Eggland's Best. They are the worst eggs I have ever eaten, regardless of preparation.

They're tasteless, and the yolks have an odd, crumbly, dry consistency that's very noticeable when boiled.  I would give up eggs, if they were my only choice. 

Honored Contributor

@BlueFinch   You hit the nail on the head!!   LOL

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

Before all this came down, I could mooch a couple when I needed some.  At times I could name the hen and they were warm.  Never more than a few hours old.  I tend to think the taste was good.  

Honored Contributor

I get Pastured eggs when I can.  Otherwise I go for Cage-Free or Free-Range.  I used to get Pastured eggs directly from the farm from a girl at the skating rink until she graduated and went off to college.  My husband noticed that the shells were harder than the plain eggs I had been getting at the grocery store.  That's when I became an egg snob.  Harder shells means a better diet which means a varied diet, not just grains.  The reason we almost lost Bald Eagles was because their eggs were so soft that they couldn't sit on them without crushing them.  

Honored Contributor

To me, an egg is an egg.   I buy whatever IGA has on the shelf, and have no preference.  

In this house, eggs are just an ingredient in the foods I cook for my family.   I am allergic to egg whites, so I probably don't consume a dozen eggs in a year in the form of scrambled, omelet, French toast, deviled, etc.

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

A few years ago I purchased Eggland's Best.  I did not like the taste at all.  It did not taste like an egg.  Never again.  Give me the regular eggs from the farm.

@Katcat1 My aunt bought those and couldn't stand them.