Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2  I've never really noticed much of a difference among the eggs available at the store. They are quite different, however, from the eggs from my daughter's chickens. The yolks are much darker with her chickens. There's nothing different about brown eggs, except they have been laid by brown hens. My daughter also has Easter Egger Chickens. They lay eggs in a variety of colors including blue and green. When making hard boiling eggs, you should use white eggs. The brown shell eggs have a bit of a funny taste after hard boiled.

Honored Contributor

I'm not an egg connoisseur so grocery  store eggs are good with me.

But when I do get eggs directly from the farm, it will spoil you.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG   What I meant was the eggs from the store the regular ones that they get from a farm.  But don't be upset because I don't like Eggland.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I wouldn't buy farm raised eggs locally unless I knew and trusted the person raising them.  I don't buy them at farmers markets and such either.  You have a far greater chance of getting a bad egg, or one with "stuff" in it.  

I buy Egglands and mostly cook with their white eggs.  I've never gotten a bad one, and they are always clean and fresh and the eggs are not old with thin whites--at least where I buy them.  They are also consistent in size, which is very important for cooking.

There are some organic eggs I buy for eating but I'm not big on some brands or eggs that are fertilized.

Brown hens don't mean brown eggs, shells are harder or softer by what they are feed, and yolk color doesn't always mean taste either.  Some chickens get food with fish meal which can affect taste. 

A huge factor in how eggs taste is how they are cooked along with how fresh they are.  Cook them too hot or too done and they have a strong bad taste.  Be good to them, don't cook them until they are dry and they taste totally different.  

Trusted Contributor

I love eggs and definitely think there is a difference, espeically if you like soft yolks.  For years we bought Egglands, but then we switched to Pete & Gerry's organic free range and have never looked back.   They are expensive, but worth it to us.  Plus they are certified humane which is important to us. Nellie's and Vital Farms are very good too.

Esteemed Contributor

When I was a child, my parents had about 30 chickens, and we would let them roam the yard and gardens eating all the bugs that they wanted.

Every day, I would go and collect the eggs, and  the yolks were a deep, dark orange, and they were delicious!

Now, I prefer to buy eggs from Vital Farms.

They are the closest thing to raising chickens yourself, and gathering the eggs.

They  are a bit more expensive, but are so worth it.

Vital Farms Pasture-Raised Eggs.jpg

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.