Honored Contributor

Re: April 2016 Recipe Exchange game

Thank you to whomever posted this recipe before!  They are great! 

I think they would be great with something to 'dip' them in!

Broccoli Tots

(recipe source: thetwobiteclub)

1 large head of broccoli
2 eggs
1/4 cup diced yellow onion
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
3/4 cup cheese of choice (I like gruyere or colby-jack)
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
3 tablespoons parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
Dash of cayenne (optional)

Preheat the oven to 400°F.

Spray mini muffin pan(s) with cooking spray. Cook the broccoli in boiling water for 4-5 minutes then remove and shock with cold tap water to stop the cooking process. Lay the broccoli out onto paper towels and cover with more paper towels,  Press down firmly on the broccoli to absorb as much moisture as you can.  Another method is to put the broccoli in the center of a dish towel and ring out the water.

Chop broccoli finely and mix thoroughly with the egg, onions, garlic, cheese, breadcrumbs, and seasonings. Fill each muffin cup in a mini muffin tin to the top, pushing down on the filling with your spoon so it's nice and compacted.

Bake for 18-25 minutes.  The tops should be golden brown. Let them cool a bit so they stay together better.

Yields: 22 to 24 mini tots

Next Ingredient:

COCOA

Respected Contributor

No Bake Cookies

2 cups sugar

1/4 cup cocoa

1/2 cup milk

1/2 cup butter

3 cups oatmeal

1/2 cup chunky peanut butter

Combine in saucepan, sugar, cocoa, milk and butter.  Bring to boil and boil 3 minutes.  Add oatmeal and peanut butter.  Stir well.

Drop onto waxed paper by teaspoon

Next ingredient:  Fresh green peppers

Honored Contributor

Taco Appetizer

In a shallow dish similar to pie plate, layer the following:

1 can Frito Lay Bean Dip.....spread in dish first

Mix together.....3/4 cup sour cream and 1/4 cup mayonnaise

Spread on top of bean dip

Top that with some chopped green onions

Then sprinkle grated cheese on green onions

Next......chopped GREEN PEPPERS

Last.......chopped tomatoes

Serve with Tostitos or Nacho chips or other favorite

NEXT INGREDIENT.......OLIVES

Honored Contributor

Greek Style Easy Baked Chicken Dinner  SERVES 4

• 1-2 pounds small waxy potatoes (depending on how much your family eats), peeled and halved
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
  • 2 teaspoons dried thyme
  • ½ teaspoon ground paprika
  • 1 large yellow bell pepper, cut into bite-sized pieces
  • 1 large red bell pepper, cut into bite-sized pieces
  • 2 large red onions, halved and then cut into large chunks
  • 1 pound chicken pieces (I used large chicken wings)
  • 1 medium lemon, sliced
  • 3 ounces black Kalamata olives (or whatever black olives you can find)
  • 3 anchovy filets, torn into pieces (optional)
  • 3 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
  1. Preheat your oven to 430°F
  2. Place the potatoes on a deep sheet pan and toss them with 1 tablespoon olive oil, ½ teaspoon sea salt, 1 teaspoon dried thyme and ½ teaspoon ground paprika.
  3. Add the vegetables and chicken pieces, then toss everything with the remaining seasoning. Make sure to really rub the seasoning and oil into the chicken, that way you’ll ensure tender meat and a crispy and flavourful skin. Arrange the chicken pieces on top of the vegetables and potatoes and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
  4. Remove the tray from the oven and stick the lemon slices in between the chicken pieces. Scatter the olives and anchovy filets on top, if using, and finish baking for another 20-25 minutes until the chicken is browned and crispy and cooked through all the way.
  5. Discard the lemon and serve immediately topped with crumbled feta cheese.

I do not recommend eating the lemon, as it turns bitter when cooked. It does give the dish a lovely flavor though, so don't leave them out. Just discard them after baking.
We love anchovies, but the recipe turns out just as well without them if you or your kids aren't big fans.

NEXT INGREDIENT:

GREEK YOGURT

Respected Contributor

Gingerbread Sandwiches
The Chew | Carla Hall | October 7, 2013

For the Gingerbread Cake
2 cups dark molasses
1 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
1/4 cup strong ginger ale
4 ½ cups cake flour
½ teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
4 teaspoons ground ginger
4 teaspoons freshly grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
2 eggs
2 cups Greek yogurt

For the Lemon Cream Cheese
1 8-ounce package cream cheese (softened)
½ cup confectioners sugar
zest and juice of 1 lemon

For the Cranberry Orange Compote
12 ounces fresh or frozen cranberries
1 thin skinned seedless orange (cut into chunks)
2 inch piece fresh ginger
1 cup sugar

For the Gingerbread Cakes: Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease and flour two 9" loaf pans.

WITH THE: 2 cups dark molasses; 1 cup unsalted butter (room temperature); 1/4 cup strong ginger ale

Combine molasses, butter and ginger ale in a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat as soon as the mixture boils, and transfer mixture to the bowl of an electric mixer or large bowl. Allow to cool to lukewarm.

WITH THE: 4 ½ cups cake flour; ½ teaspoon salt; 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon;  4 teaspoons ground ginger; 4 teaspoons freshly grated nutmeg; 1 teaspoon ground allspice; 1 teaspoon ground cloves; 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda

Sift the flour, salt, spices and baking soda together onto a large piece of parchment or wax paper. Set aside.

WITH THE: 2 eggs; 2 cups Greek yogurt

Add the eggs to the molasses mixture, beat until combined.

Add the dry ingredients and Greek yogurt alternately, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly.

Spoon the mixture into the prepared loaf pans and bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Place on wire rack to cool slightly, then turn out of pan to finish cooling.

For the Lemon Cream Cheese:
WITH THE: 1 8-ounce package cream cheese (softened); ½ cup confectioners sugar;  zest and juice of 1 lemon

Make the lemon cream cheese by beating together the cream cheese, confectioners sugar, and lemon juice and zest.

Cranberry Orange Compote
WITH THE: 12 ounces fresh or frozen cranberries; 1 thin skinned seedless orange (cut into chunks); 2 inch piece fresh ginger

Pulse cranberries, orange chunks and ginger in food processor to combine.

WITH THE: 1 cup sugar

Transfer to a medium pot and stir in sugar. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes or until mixture is homogenous. Let cool. (Keeps for up to 2 weeks in fridge.)

To Build Sandwich:
Slice gingerbread into 1-inch thick pieces. Spread the lemon cream cheese on one half, and spread cranberry orange compote on the other half. Sandwich together.

Helpful Tips:
1. Strong ginger ale or ginger beer adds stronger flavor to the gingerbread.
2. If you need to add a dark colored spice to a dry mixture, add that first to the lighter parts (like flour), so it’s easy to see when it’s all mixed properly.
3. Sour cream can substitute for the Greek yogurt

4. Alternate adding the dry and wet ingredients so that the dough does not become too dry and can adequately absorb the liquid components.
5. Assemble the sandwich in advance so that the flavors meld 

Mrs. G's notes: Carla was adamant that the sandwiches would be best if wrapped tightly and refrigerated for 2 or 3 days to ripen.  

I split my gingerbread loaf horizontally into three layers, spreading the cranberry on one, the lemon cream on the other, re-stacked the layers, putting the top back on. I wrapped the reassembled loaf in foil and refrigerated it overnight. We had nearly half a loaf with coffee for breakfast the next morning. Woman Embarassed

Next ingredient:  Chipotle in Adobo Sauce

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh my Goodness, @IamMrsG

That is the jackpot of a dessert!  Thanks!  And it has my other fav, Lemon, in it to boot!

I hope @DiAnne doesn't mind me reposting one of her previous recipe posts from 2013 but I just love it.  Can't tell you how many times I have whipped this up!  Delicious!

It is the recipe that sent me into a major hunt for Chipotle in Adobe Sauce which I puchase from The Spice House.

I still have not been able to find it locally!  I love it and use it in lots of recipes!

CHIPOTLE-MAPLE BLACK BEANS

This is ridiculously fast and easy if you need to make a last minute side dish for a barbecue. I have used it to "stretch" when I have had unexpected guests.

RS- Posted by DiAnne   7-12-13

1 cup onion, diced
1 T vegetable oil
1 t garlic, minced
2 T apple cider vinegar
2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained (about 15 oz each)
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup ketchup
2 T minced chipotle chiles in adobo
1 t dry mustard
1 t Worcestershire sauce
Salt to taste

Saute onion in oil over medium heat until softened.

Stir in garlic and cook 1 minute.

Deglaze with vinegar and bring to a boil.

Add reminaing ingredients and simmer 10 minutes.

Next Ingredient:

Mozzarella     smoked would be nice!  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Ravioli Lasagna

Ingredients

• 1 pound ground beef
    • 1 jar (28 ounces) spaghetti sauce
    • 1 package (25 ounces) frozen sausage or cheese ravioli
  • 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese

• Directions

• 1. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. In a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish, layer a third of the spaghetti sauce, half of the ravioli and beef, and 1/2 cup cheese; repeat layers. Top with remaining sauce and cheese.
  • 2. Cover and bake at 400° for 40-45 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6-8 servings.

I can half this and make it in my small Breville oven!  Sorry, never used smoked mozzarella.

Next ingredient:  Sausage (any type)

Respected Contributor

Radiatore with Sausage and Spinach

16 ounces radiatore pasta
12 ounces reduced-fat breakfast-style pork sausage
1 teaspoon garlic, minced 
8 cups (5 ounces) baby spinach leaves
1 pint ripe grape or cherry tomatoes
½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
½ cup shredded Parmesan
Salt and black pepper to taste

Bring to boil 3 quarts of water, and salt generously once boiling begins.

Cook the pasta in the boiling water until tender, 7 to10 minutes. When the pasta is done, drain and add to the bowl of tomatoes.

Cut the tomatoes into halves or quarters and place the pieces in a 3-quart or larger serving bowl.  Set aside.

Meanwhile, place the sausage in an extra-deep, 12-inch nonstick skillet that has a lid.  Cook the sausage over medium-high heat until it is browned and well crumbled, stirring frequently to break up the meat, about 7 minutes.

When the meat has browned, reduce the heat to medium-low and stir in the garlic. Add the spinach leaves to the skillet on top of the meat, but do not stir. Cover the skillet and cook until the leaves are just wilted and still bright green, about 4 to 5 minutes.*

Add the sausage and spinach to the pasta and tomatoes. Sprinkle the cheeses over the bowl and stir and toss until well blended and the cheese melts. Season with salt and pepper to taste, if desired. Serve at once.

Makes 6 servings.

Mrs. G’s notes:  I use Italian sausage instead of breakfast pork sausage.

Watch the spinach carefully!  There is a very narrow window of time between “just wilted” and a soggy mess.  We are adverse to soggy spinach, so for our tastes, I have learned to cover the pan and remove it from the heat as soon as I add the spinach.  I let it sit only 2 or 3 minutes before adding to the rest of the dish.

Serve with Shiraz.

Next ingredient: Crimini or portobello mushrooms

Honored Contributor

Roasted Portobello Mushroom with Poached Egg in a Creamy Mushroom Sauce

Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 50 minutes Total Time: 1 hour Servings: 2

th.jpg

Grilled portobello mushrooms topped with steamed spinach, a poached egg and a creamy mushroom sauce.

ingredients

• 2 tablespoons oil
  • 4 small portobello mushrooms, stems removed
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
  • 1/2 cup hot water
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 shallot, finely diced
  • 1 clove garlic, chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon thyme, chopped
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup cream
  • 1/2 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
  • 10 ounces spinach, steamed and squeezed to drain
  • 4 eggs
  1. Soak the dried porcini mushrooms in the hot water for 20 minutes.
  2. Brush the portobello mushrooms with the oil, season with salt and pepper, bake in a preheated 400F/200C oven until tender, about 10-30 minutes, with the gill side up and set them aside to cool. (Note: Roasting time can vary greatly depending on how thick your mushrooms are.)
  3. Drain the mushrooms and chop them reserving the water.
  4. Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat.
  5. Add the porcini mushrooms, shallots, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper and saute for 2 minutes.
  6. Add the reserved water and simmer at medium-high until reduced by half, about 3-5 minutes.
  7. Add the cream and parmigiano reggiano and simmer until it thickens, about 2-4 minutes.
  8. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and reduce the heat to medium.
  9. Crack an egg into a bowl, swirl the water in the pot and pour the egg from the bowl into the water and repeat for another egg.
  10. Let the eggs cook until the whites are set but the yolks are not, about 2-3 minutes and fish them out.
  11. Divide the mushrooms between two plates, top with the spinach, the poached eggs and then pour on the mushroom sauce.

Next Ingredient:

Blueberries

Respected Contributor

@RespectLife   This one just went straight into my files -- not waiting for the summation in May.  Thank you!  --Mrs. G.  It's fairly low carb, too, right?

Next ingredient:  Blueberries