Respected Contributor

I was assigned to make an apple crumb pie for Thanksgiving.  I'm not much of a baker but I can pull this off.  My question is other than Granny Smith apples what type is good for a pie?

I want to mix the Granny Smiths with another type but some apples are either too soft or too sweet.  I thought this was a topic of discussion not too long ago but I can't find it.

Thanks.

Respected Contributor

Re: Apples for Pie

[ Edited ]

I've been studying this apple thing myself and have concluded from my research that almost any apples EXCEPT Red Delicious are recommended  for baking. 

You can select Honey Crisp. Golden Delicious, Granny Smith, Winesap and many others which don't appear in my grocery stores locally, such as Cortland.  One often recommended is Empire, which I've never seen and I believe might be native to New York State?

I plan to mix a couple different varieties when I make apple crisp next week.

Respected Contributor

@novamc1 - Thanks for the suggestions.

Valued Contributor

I found this chart online a few months ago. You might find it helpful.image.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

The apple chart is interesting.  However, I'd never use Red or Yellow Delicious apples in a pie.  Yellow apples are great for poaching and reds for eating. 

The apple used consistantly for years and years in western states for apple pie was the "Pippin" apple.  However, they have disappeared for a long time from all markets I frequent.

Esteemed Contributor

Nova Scotia, where I live, is a big apple producer.  DH has a couple of Orange Pippin trees here as well as honeycrisp.  From that chart, I would pick honeycrisp, Fuji, pink lady.  I would also add Sweet Tango and Cortland.  My apple pie is just due to come out of the oven.  This one is a mix of honeycrisp and Cortland.  LM

Respected Contributor

Thanks all, this is good information. I hope my pie turns out O K.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Apples for Pie

[ Edited ]

Hi  Winkk,

Some that I use for baking that haven't been mentioned are Jonathan apples and MacIntosh apples. 

They're also good for eating, too. Cat Happy

Here's a link from Midwest Living magazine that recommends different apples that are good for baking, if anyone would like to take a look at it. You just click on the slide presentation across the top of the page, to see each apple selection:

http://www.midwestliving.com/food/fruits-veggies/great-apples-for-baking/