Valued Contributor

Re: Apples are almost here, Kentucky apple cake, so delicious!!! recipe i posted awhile back!!!

Topaz, lol oh im sure it would taste good {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}, another thing i forgot to mention is i make my own vanilla which i use spiced rum and vanilla pods to it..so it does have rum in it and the topping !!

I just take a huge bottle of what ever i have and add the vanilla pods to it and let it sit..yum

I have vodka for my next vanilla bottle..

Britt

Valued Contributor

Re: Apples are almost here, Kentucky apple cake, so delicious!!! recipe i posted awhile back!!!

Hi dep, I have never baked Antonella's banana cake, but ty for the {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} i'm going to go take a look..{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

I think of what apple's i love in apple pies and that's what i use,,I love to eat the jonagold and i love the way they bake up ..I don't like biting into a hard piece of apple {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}its all what you like.. now my daughter loves the granny smith!!it just depends..Good luck on your cake.. Britt

Valued Contributor

Kentucky apple cake!!!
Please do not use margarine in this recipe, use butter please!{#emotions_dlg.biggrin} In the topping and the cake
!!
CREAM IN A LARGE BOWL OR STAND MIXER:
2 stick butter I use salted
2 c sugar
ADD:
2 large eggs
IN A SEPARATE BOWL, COMBINE:
2 1/2 c all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
ADD DRY INGREDIENTS TO THE MARGARINE MIXTURE. MIX IN:
3 c finely chopped apples, I use johnagold apples
1 c chopped walnuts
2-3 Tbsp milk
GLAZE
3/4 c sugar
1/2 c butter
1/4 c buttermilk
1 Tbsp light corn syrup
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp real vanilla extract

Directions

1. Follow the above steps to make the cake batter.
2. Grease and flour a 9x13 pan Spread apple cake batter evenly in pan.
3. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until a toothpick comes out without raw batter on it.
4. While cake is baking, combine all the glaze ingredients except the vanilla in a medium pan. Stir and cook to to a rolling boil. Remove from heat and add 1 teaspoon of vanilla.
5. Pour and spread glaze over hot cake as soon as the cake is removed from the oven.
6. Let cake cool completely before serving. The longer it sits, the better it gets!
Respected Contributor

On 6/17/2014 depglass said:

I'm not a baker, my only good cake is Antonella's banana cake. So if I branch out and make this, which is the BEST apple? I tend to prefer Honey Crisp to eat, but they are not available around here yet.

I always use Granny Smith for baking. They're firm and tart and hold up well. Also, the tartness is a nice contrast to the sweet batter.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Trusted Contributor

Hi Brit,

I'm with you on not liking a baked apple that retains its crispness in desserts. I, too, look forward to baking this cake.

I have also made my own vanilla extract. I did use vodka to make mine. Don't know whether it's essential but the directions indicated that you needed to shake the bottle for 30 days and thereafter it's ready to be used. I'm going to try doing it with spiced rum as you did. After buying the vanilla beans, I now understand why good extract is so costly! But it's so worth the results!!!

Well, off to the kitchen to make one each of cece5231's and forrestwolf's tomato tart/pie recipes.

Valued Contributor

Vabreeze,

I really like making vanilla this way..I first started doing this when I had 2 1 gallon bottles of captain Morgans spiced rum and I'm not that much of a drinker, I do like mixed drinks though..there was just so much of it..

I have a bottle of tequila to im about ready to make that into vanilla..I love the way it makes my cakes and all my frosting taste better..most of the time i forget iv made it im just used to it! Smiley Happy) so when i made the apple cake it had 2 teaspoons of rum {#emotions_dlg.scared} i just didn't think about it..so the topping was just delicious with the spiced rum..I toss vanilla pods into any kind of hard liquor i happen to have..

I also love to use grand Marnier !!Now iv not put it in to this apple cake but i might!!! I love it in overnight french toast or bread pudding..maybe ill make bread pudding i have some whipping cream I need to use up..or ill make some caramel..

TY so much Vabreeze!! Brittany{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Frequent Contributor

I'm drooling just looking at your photos. Thank you for the recipe, I'll definitely give this one a try. What a bad time of day to find this recipe when I'm already hungry!

Valued Contributor

Hi designista, I just love that picture, It taste as good as it looks ..i THINK it taste better then it looks ..its just that good!!

I especially hate going to the store when I'm hungry..I end up with so much more then i need {#emotions_dlg.scared} lol I hope when you make it you let me know what you think!! I actually get so excited when I k now someone is making this..I just know your going to love it!! You don't run across recipes like this very often!!

Its one of those recipes that is just that good!!!!{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes} Enjoy, Brittany