Trusted Contributor

I made these the other night for dessert, I forgot how good they are, so delicious and easy !!!

2 sticks of butter

2 granny smith apples( but I used Gala, that's what I had)

2 tubes of refrigerated cresent rolls

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup of white sugar

1 teasp vanilla

8 ounces ginger ale

cinnamon for sprinkling

preheat oven to 350*  Grease a 9x13 pan

Peel and core the apples, slice in wedges, you will need 16 wedges.  Spread out the cresent dough and roll a piece of apple in it starting from widest end.

Place all 16 rolls in the pan, they don't fit tight but will rise in the oven.

Melt the butter in a saucepan, when melted stir in both sugars just till combined, you don't want them to dissolve.  add the vanilla to the butter mixture and  stir slightly.  pour the mixture over the crescent dough  Pour the ginger ale around the edges of the pan.  Sprinkle the top with cinnamon until golden brown, about 35 to 40 min.  Serve these warm and put some of the sauce in the pan on them.

These can either be dessert or breakfast.

Honored Contributor

i make these all the time, but we call them apple dews because we use mountain dew as the soda in the recipe. i do mix a bit of the cinnamon and sugar in with the apple filling. try adding some raisins in with the apples also.......makes them even more delicious. dont forget the vanilla ice cream to top them off! Smiley Wink

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I made them a few times with Mountain Dew.  My DH likes them, but he didn’t love them.  He ate them though, there wasn't a crumb left.

He prefers the old  fashioned kind made with homemade ingredients.  

Honored Contributor

I printed out both versions so I could try.  This sounds great but my preference is absolutely Mountain Dew.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

I will have to give the mountain dew a try and add some raisins !!!  Thanks

Trusted Contributor

This recipe was on a repeat airing of a Pioneer Woman cooking show.  They looked so good.  Glad to hear your reviews.

Trusted Contributor

That's where I originally saw the recipe, but i used less sugar and the recipe was still very delish.  I happen to run across the recipe in my file the other day when I was sorting my older recipes out so I made a pan of them and they were just as good as I remembered.

Honored Contributor

another note for this recipe...... it also works well with peaches and pears!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Valued Contributor

@sunshine45

Thanks for that info! Never thought of peaches.

I make the apple dumplings all the time, but I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE peaches. Going to do that recipe for sure. YUM!

cooking