Honored Contributor

Re: Appetizer - Lasagna Party Ring

@AuntG wrote:

As @mustang66lady said, this is a pretty heavy appetizer but it sure looks good.  I wonder how common it is to serve lasagna at Christmas.  

Would never happen growing up or at our house.  It's ham sandwiches or chicken and dumplings for Christmas Eve; turkey, goose, duck, prime rib roast or standing pork roast for Christmas day.  Once in a while quali and or phesant. 

Super Contributor

I love this idea.  thanks for sharing!  On my list!

Honored Contributor

Wow, I love this idea. I Eat gluten free and I have gluten free lasagne noodles in my cupboard already. I can't wait to try it.

Being  Italian we always have homemade spaghetti and sauce made from scratch with all of our holiday meals.  I can never eat the pasta and boxed plain gluten free spaghetti never turned me on enough to bother with it.

This will be on my table this year..something special for me.  I hope I have leftovers, but I doubt it.

@momtochloe thank you, thank you

Honored Contributor

@Carmie....did you see my question??  The recipe reads to let it sit for 1 hour then turn out on a plate and eat?  The lasagna would not be hot....what do you think?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs  The lasagna would have to sit for a while for the ricotta cheese to set up.  If you tried to eat it hot from the oven, the cheese would be runny. It would fall apart at once. You couldn't even cut it into pieces.  It would be a big scrambled mess.

The recipe says to let it sit for 1 hour.  It would still be warm , but not bubbling hot and it could easily be cut and served.   I think I would heat up the extra sauce to dip it in.  Dipping in cold sauce doesn't sound so good.

Valued Contributor

I wouldn't serve lasagna as an appetizer. It's WAY too heavy for an appetizer. It's a main dish. Too much work to make this recipe.

I make lasagna for Christmas dinner. NO meat - just layers of ricotta, spinach, parmesan filling, and homemade marinara sauce. I also make my lasanga noodles. This makes the lasagna lighter than using store bought noodles.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

As @mustang66lady said, this is a pretty heavy appetizer but it sure looks good.  I wonder how common it is to serve lasagna at Christmas.  

Would never happen growing up or at our house.  It's ham sandwiches or chicken and dumplings for Christmas Eve; turkey, goose, duck, prime rib roast or standing pork roast for Christmas day.  Once in a while quali and or phesant. 

Would never happen at my house or my family's house. Christmas Eve dinner is fresh seafood - appetizers include shrimp cocktail, and a variety of smoked fish. Dinner includes salmon, king crab legs, linguini with clam sauce, and baked clams.

NO one is into ham, dumplings, duck, goose, pork, quail, pheasant, or prime rib.

Honored Contributor

@manhattan1950  I agree, it is a heavy dish.  Sometimes people are not serving  a main meal. Many parties only have apps and sandwiches on the menu with other munchies.

My family always serves homemade pasta along with the main meal on every major holiday.  Everyone eats a little bit of everything, except me.

I have celiac disease and that leaves many dishes off limits.  I am not a big fan of ham or turkey and can't eat the pasta.  I usually fill up on seafood and veggies.  I am going to make this in a gluten free version...for me.  I haven't had any form of lasagna in forever and I am have craving it....reason I bought gluten free lasagna sheets.  I can't wait to try it.

Your lasagna sounds delicious.  I wish I could have a bite without getting sick. 

Valued Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@manhattan1950  I agree, it is a heavy dish.  Sometimes people are not serving  a main meal. Many parties only have apps and sandwiches on the menu with other munchies.

My family always serves homemade pasta along with the main meal on every major holiday.  Everyone eats a little bit of everything, except me.

I have celiac disease and that leaves many dishes off limits.  I am not a big fan of ham or turkey and can't eat the pasta.  I usually fill up on seafood and veggies.  I am going to make this in a gluten free version...for me.  I haven't had any form of lasagna in forever and I am have craving it....reason I bought gluten free lasagna sheets.  I can't wait to try it.

Your lasagna sounds delicious.  I wish I could have a bite without getting sick. 

Seafood and veggies are also my favorite foods. Thanks for the compliment!!! Hope you enjoy your lasagna with the gluten free sheets!

Honored Contributor

@Carmie.....did you make this recipe for Christmas?  If so, was it good?