Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone with a tried and true Mexican ""lasagna"" recipe?

OOHHH!! Mexican Pizza! When I worked in the mall a million years ago, I used to live on that! My sis & I would share one every week!

Anyone have a recipe for that???

Valued Contributor

THIS one from Gooseberry Patch is really good. :-)

Valued Contributor

On 1/22/2015 RespectLife said:

OOHHH!! Mexican Pizza! When I worked in the mall a million years ago, I used to live on that! My sis & I would share one every week!

Anyone have a recipe for that???

Hi, RL! I stumbled across this recipe a while ago for mexican pizza. HERE it is. Enjoy!

Frequent Contributor

I was inspired by all the posts here and decided to make it for dinner yesterday. I used corn tortillas and basically followed the recipe listed here. I also used my 14x14 baking pan. It was delicious! However it just wasn't enough for this crowd. Next time I'm going to make two. One beef and one chicken. I can't begin to tell you how tickled I was over the compliments I received last night.
Honored Contributor

Thank you Lola and JLF for these delicious recipes! Can't wait to try them all!

Honored Contributor

Woohooo!
Honored Contributor

I used to make it all the time. I would use flour tortillas to separate the layers. Refried beans, diced tomatoes, cheese. Sour cream on the side.
Valued Contributor

I make this frequently to rave reviews. It is from the Looney Spoons cookbook (Janet and Greta Podleski).

No Weigh, Jose'! Mexican Lasagna - Looneyspoons Cookbook

1 1/2 lbs. ground chicken (sometimes hard to find, I think you could use turkey)
1 Cup each diced red onions and diced green bell pepper
2 tsp. minced garlic
1 Cup canned no-salt-added black beans, drained and rinsed
1 Cup diced tomatoes
1/2 Cup frozen or canned corn
1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
2 Cups your favorite tomato pasta sauce
1 Cup medium salsa
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 T. minced fresh cilantro
4 large or 8 small whole-grain flour tortillas
1 1/2 Cups packed shredded light sharp cheddar cheese
1 Cup light sour cream
1/4 Cup chopped green onions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray 9x13 inch baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
In a large, non-stick pot or skillet, cook ground chicken, onions, green pepper and garlic over medium-high heat until meat is no longer pink. Break up any large pieces of chicken as it's cooking.

Add black beans, tomatoes, corn, chili powder and cumin. Cook and stir for 2 more minutes. Add pasta sauce, salsa and black pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in cilantro and remove from heat.

To assemble lasagna, spread 1/3 sauce mixture over bottom of prepared pan. Top with 1/2 the tortillas, overlapping and cutting them as necessary to fit. Top with 1/3 sauce mixture, followed by 1/2 the cheese. Cover cheese with the remaining tortillas, followed by remaining sauce. Sprinkle remaining cheese over sauce.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/23/2015 Suzy Snowflake said: I was inspired by all the posts here and decided to make it for dinner yesterday. I used corn tortillas and basically followed the recipe listed here. I also used my 14x14 baking pan. It was delicious! However it just wasn't enough for this crowd. Next time I'm going to make two. One beef and one chicken. I can't begin to tell you how tickled I was over the compliments I received last night.

I have made a casserole we call "Montezuma Pie" Pretty much the same recipe, but use cooked chicken and layer with cream of chicken soup mixed with some milk. Of course, layer in green chile, cheese and corn tortillas ...serve with sides of frijoles, sour cream, salsa and olives!! Always a bit hit!!

Contributor

http://www.nmmagazine.com/article/?aid=89545#.VMVZ6ct0yos

whole site: http://www.nmmagazine.com/

see: Tasting NM/Recipes

...Cheers

el gato gordo y descarado