Respected Contributor

Anyone with a tried and true Mexican "lasagna" recipe?

I see a million out there using flour or corn tortillas, but wondering if anyone has a favorite...thanks in advance!

~Denise

Denise
Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone with a tried and true Mexican ""lasagna"" recipe?

I don't even know what Mexican lasagna is, never heard of it.

Well, okay now. I looked it up, sounds good. Easy, so it's something I would make for a crowd. But I wouldn't confuse people by calling it lasagna. It would be great for Super Bowl Sunday.

Super Contributor

I make mine by layering flour tortillas in place of the lasagna noodles. I layer it with cooked ground beef seasoned with taco seasoning, cheddar cheese, sometimes refried beans. I then top it with black olives, lettuce, tomatoes, and sour cream. Everyone loves this.
Respected Contributor

On 1/21/2015 Chrystaltree said:

I don't even know what Mexican lasagna is, never heard of it.

Well, okay now. I looked it up, sounds good. Easy, so it's something I would make for a crowd. But I wouldn't confuse people by calling it lasagna. It would be great for Super Bowl Sunday.

That's why I used quotes around "lasagna". Smile Some versions do use lasagna noodles, but I'd prefer one layered with tortillas.

Thanks for your suggestions, diamondsforme! (diamonds are for me, too!) {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Denise
Trusted Contributor

I've never called it "Mexican lasagna"; I call it "enchilada casserole". I layer corn or flour tortillas with seasoned taco meat and grated cheese, ending with meat and cheese on top. Bake at 325 till hot, melty, and beginning to brown on top. You can also add sliced black olives, chopped or sliced jalapeno or poblano peppers in the layers if you like. I serve this with fresh salsa, sour cream, and a big tossed green salad with avocado slices in it. Delicious!

Honored Contributor

I just made my recipe for it Monday night. It's really simple, but hits the spot. I imagine you could play around with it, trying corn tortillas, for instance, or maybe increasing the spice or adding some black beans.

MEXICAN LASAGNA

1# Ground Beef

16 oz. Stewed Tomatoes

8 oz. Tomato Sauce

1 Sm. Can Chopped Green Chiles, undrained

2 tsp. Chili Powder

1 Med. Onion, chopped

1# Shredded Colby, Cheddar, or Mexican Blend Cheese

Package of 7-inch Flour Tortillas, cut in half

Brown the ground beef and onion. Drain off the fat. Add all the remaining ingredients except the cheese and the tortillas. Simmer a few minutes. In a 9” x 13” greased baking dish, layer as you would a regular lasagna, starting with a little sauce on the bottom, then tortillas, meat mixture, cheese, and repeat. Bake in a preheated 350° oven for 20-25 minutes. I keep the pan covered with foil during the baking and remove it just for the last few minutes. To prevent the cheese from sticking to the foil, spray the underside of the foil with a little cooking spray before placing it on the baking dish.

Serve with Tapatio, a good quality salsa, guacamole, and sour cream on the side.

Trusted Contributor

I think it should be called American lasagna.

Super Contributor

Hi denise! This is only my opinion, but I'd use lasagna noodles if I were to make a Mexican lasagna. I don't care for flour tortillas used in casseroles, as they seem too 'gummy', and if you use corn tortillas, then what you'd basically be making is an enchilada casserole.

Hope you find a keeper!

Respected Contributor

On 1/21/2015 JeanLouiseFinch said:

I just made my recipe for it Monday night. It's really simple, but hits the spot. I imagine you could play around with it, trying corn tortillas, for instance, or maybe increasing the spice or adding some black beans.

MEXICAN LASAGNA

1# Ground Beef

16 oz. Stewed Tomatoes

8 oz. Tomato Sauce

1 Sm. Can Chopped Green Chiles, undrained

2 tsp. Chili Powder

1 Med. Onion, chopped

1# Shredded Colby, Cheddar, or Mexican Blend Cheese

Package of 7-inch Flour Tortillas, cut in half

Brown the ground beef and onion. Drain off the fat. Add all the remaining ingredients except the cheese and the tortillas. Simmer a few minutes. In a 9” x 13” greased baking dish, layer as you would a regular lasagna, starting with a little sauce on the bottom, then tortillas, meat mixture, cheese, and repeat. Bake in a preheated 350° oven for 20-25 minutes. I keep the pan covered with foil during the baking and remove it just for the last few minutes. To prevent the cheese from sticking to the foil, spray the underside of the foil with a little cooking spray before placing it on the baking dish.

Serve with Tapatio, a good quality salsa, guacamole, and sour cream on the side.

Thanks for the recipe. It sounds good and something my family would like.

Honored Contributor

On 1/21/2015 Iwantcoffee said:

Thanks for the recipe. It sounds good and something my family would like.

I hope you like it. With just a pound of ground beef, it's not super meaty so you might want to up that just a tad. I buy organic ground beef from Costco and their packages are premeasured in 1 1/3 lbs., I think. Even with that much, it still wasn't full of meat, which I think is OK considering all the cheese that's in it.