Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone use gluten free flour?

Oh, one last thing: I don't follow their dietary rules to the letter, but Paleo recipes abound and are a fantastic on-line resource.

If you are going GF for your DH, I remember you shared with us that he is diabetic.  Be aware that GF mixes pack a lot of carbs and consequently more calories.

It is absolutely amazing what can be done with coconut flour, almond and flax meal.  I can make breads and simple cakes that are almost indistinguishable from the "real" thing.

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

I'm trying gluten free for myself...just an experiment. Thanks to everyone for the tips!!
Honored Contributor

?

unless one has Celiac disease why go gluten free?

Respected Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

?

Actually I was just tested for Celiacs disease at Mayo Clinic because I have chronic skin issues.   I tested negative, but thought I'd give this a try and see if there is any improvement.    Kinda hope it doesn't helpWoman Wink  cause I want pizza!!!

Also..to answer your question...I understand alot of people show false negatives for Celiacs...and some people just get weird symptoms from Gluten...honestly,  I really don't know much about why it's such a HUGE issue these days.   As for myself...skin issues are my problem, no tummy probs...but since Dr. tested...I figure, it can't hurt to try it.   Unfortunately, in my case it's probably related to a health issue I have. 

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

?

Actually I was just tested for Celiacs disease at Mayo Clinic because I have chronic skin issues.   I tested negative, but thought I'd give this a try and see if there is any improvement.    Kinda hope it doesn't helpWoman Wink  cause I want pizza!!!

Also..to answer your question...I understand alot of people show false negatives for Celiacs...and some people just get weird symptoms from Gluten...honestly,  I really don't know much about why it's such a HUGE issue these days.   As for myself...skin issues are my problem, no tummy probs...but since Dr. tested...I figure, it can't hurt to try it.   Unfortunately, in my case it's probably related to a health issue I have. 

I saw your post just now, 

I was just curious that's why I asked, 

Respected Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@Dazlin wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

?

I saw your post just now, 

I was just curious that's why I asked, 

I think you asked a good questionSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin - I didn't want the monkey business or expense of making my own so I was very happy when I found the Namaste Gluten Free Flour Blend at Costco.  It is more expensive than regular flour, but that's just the way it is with most GF foods.  I don't bake much anymore because I don't want the temptation but I have used the Namaste several times to make Texas Sheet Cake for family get togethers and it worked splendidly, no one could tell the difference.  I've also used it successfully to make sausage gravy and to thicken potato soup.  It measures cup for cup the same way as regular flour.

Honored Contributor

Super Contributor

My daughter needs to eat gluten free, dairy free, beef and pork free and NOOOOOO chocolate. Needless to say, it is difficult when she comes for dinner. But I found an amazing gluten free flour and baking things at BetterBatter dot com. Makes great bread, cookies, pancakes...everything,  and there are many recipes on the site plus if you sign up, she notifies you everytime she has a sale

. Check it out

Respected Contributor

@poppinfresh, thank you for taking the time to post ! I have my own concoction of flours I make, but the pictures of the bread was just too much to resist!

I am Diabetic with a gluten sensitivity-I ordered the all-purpose baking mix and the seasoned flour.

Many GF mixes rely on heavy egg usage....and I'm curious about yeast use in bread making...( thankfully, I have no yeast sensitivity!). My question is, if does it require any special yeast? 

What I mean by that is that I always used SAfpF yeast in my bread making days-love it- but you seemingly can't use it in GF bread.

Any information you can share would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Poodlepet2