Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone here make coffee cakes?

Thank you, House Cat, for the recipe links. I've also made the crumb cake recipe before & it's good. My cake turned out perfect, I must say. Whole cake was eaten & I even had many requests for the recipe, including 2 requests from male bakers in our congregation. I used cake flour like she recommended. The sour cream makes the cake very moist & tender.

Honored Contributor

If anyone likes crumb cake but is too lazy to bake,  David's Cookies at HSN makes an excellent crumb cake.   I started getting it on auto-delivery several years ago when Entemann's quit making it.   As prepared food goes its pretty inexpensive.   Comes in cello wrapped squares perfect for freezing. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@joannecha  -  I make lots of coffee cakes at Christmas.  This past year, I think I made 30 or 33.  Our house smells fabulous!  We give them to neighbors, friends, and my husband's co-workers.  My recipe makes three at a time and I put them into gallon freezer bags and they freeze great.

Honored Contributor

It's rare that I make one. I usually pick up two when they are on sale and freeze them.

New Contributor

Please share your recipe that makes 3 coffee cakes at a time.  Thank you!  GeorgeCat1

Honored Contributor

A great coffee cake recipe is the one made with the biscuit mix and then topped with cherry pie filling. Haven't made coffee cake in years but if I had to that would be my recipe.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Trusted Contributor

@IlliniGirl88 wrote:

@joannecha  -  I make lots of coffee cakes at Christmas.  This past year, I think I made 30 or 33.  Our house smells fabulous!  We give them to neighbors, friends, and my husband's co-workers.  My recipe makes three at a time and I put them into gallon freezer bags and they freeze great.

Can you share your recipe?

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Sock it to me cake is so good and moist, my favorite too !!!!!!

Honored Contributor

I never make coffee cake.  If I want a sweet treat I will go to Krispy Kreme or Hot Pot and buy one doughnut.  

Super Contributor

When I was first married (44 years ago!) we were given a large jelly roll pan (12 x 17").  I wasn't sure what to do with it. . .but was watching The Joyce Livingston Show (a local "women's show" back in the day) and she demonstrated The Dairy Council Coffee Cake, which was baked in "my pan".  I've been baking that cake ever since; it's quick, inexpensive, serves a lot, and is delicious.  (In 1990 my son won our county 4-H Grand Championship foods item with it!)  You can use any flavor of prepared pie filling (he won with apricot, cherry is especially tasty/attractive). Sometimes I change up the flavoring (maple, almond, coconut, vanilla) in the glaze.

DAIRY COUNCIL COFFEE CAKE

1 CUP BUTTER

1 2/3 CUPS SUGAR

4 EGGS

3 CUPS FLOUR

1 1/2 TSP. SALT

1 1/2 TSP. BAKING POWDER

1 CAN PREPARED PIE FILLING

Cream butter and sugar, beat in eggs, one at a time.  Mix well.  Sift dry ingredients together and mix in.  Spread batter on oiled jelly roll pan; reserving 1 cup of batter.  layer filling over cake batter.  Dab remaining batter over the top of fruit; gently spread "dabs", but do not try to cover all of the fruit.  Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven until lightly golden and just tests done (15-20 minutes).  Watch carefully and don't over bake. Cool 10 minutes and glaze with a mixture of :  3 tablespoons melted butter, 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 tsp. vanilla (or your choice) and just enough milk to thin the glaze to drizzling consistency.