Trusted Contributor

Anyone here make coffee cakes?

Just made Ina Garten's sour cream coffee cake for coffee hour at church tomorrow. It worked out really well, though I'll have to wait until tomorrow to check it out. I usually make either a sour cream or cinammon crumb if I"m making a coffee cake. Wondered if any of you out there who make coffee cakes have a favorite. Thanks & have a wonderful evening.

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone here make coffee cakes?

I make coffee cake....but have not baked one since Christmas...I was so tired of baking but it's time to get another one baked.  We usually just eat it on the weekends.  My recipe has a brown sugar and nut topping.

On another note..we just started attending Sunday School at our church, I was surprised to learn that they have 'snacks' every Sunday!  I must be the odd man out but I am not wild about having to take my turn to provide a snack....I am not anti snack! It just seems odd to me that they have snacks coffee is ok it's just the eating during class that seems funny to me.

Honored Contributor

I haven't made coffee cake in recent years but I made them rather often back in the day.  Sour cream, apple cinnamon and cinnamon swirl.

Honored Contributor

This is my standby,  the Sock It To Me Cake,  a Pillsbury Bake Off winner of yore. 

Screenshot_20170211-180357.jpg

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/7505/sock-it-to-me-cake-iii/

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Our coffee hour is a time of socializing that we have after services are over. It's done before Sunday school & Bible study time. We only have to take a turn about every 3 months, even though we have a small congregation. I usually make 2 things, just to make sure there's enough (we do this in pairs, so there's another person making things too). Tomorrow, I have the coffee cake, plus a batch of Snickerdoodles.

Honored Contributor

@joannecha wrote:

Just made Ina Garten's sour cream coffee cake for coffee hour at church tomorrow. It worked out really well, though I'll have to wait until tomorrow to check it out. I usually make either a sour cream or cinammon crumb if I"m making a coffee cake. Wondered if any of you out there who make coffee cakes have a favorite. Thanks & have a wonderful evening.

I've made that one before and it's good. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I LOVE coffee cake and make it all the time! Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@joannecha wrote:

I had an aunt that was famous for her sour cream coffee cake.  

She would bake it in a retangular pan and didn't matter that she had made it hundreds of times before, before she brought it anywhere she would always cut a one inch square out the corner to make sure it turned out okay and then put a scrunched up paper napkin in it's place!

Honored Contributor

Yes, I do!  Although I should try some new recipes, family always wants the one I have made for 40 years.....Sour Cream Coffee Cake.....recipe from first cookbook I received as gift.....Betty Crocker!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I bake a coffee cake at least once a month.  

Not only are they delicious and simple, but they are charged with so many warm memories of my mom and my dearest aunt.  I can't think of a better aroma than a coffee cake baking. Did I mention that I like coffee cake?

I made this one last week.  I had one slice and DH ate the rest.  He absolutely loved it.  I used a bundt pan. While I think it was good, I prefer the recipes without sour cream. Anyway, this is a really good and easy one:

Sour Cream Cinnamon Cake

If you want a gooey, decadent one, try this one.  It got rave reviews from the men in this house:

Honey Bun Coffee Cake

If you have time to fuss, this one is my all time favorite. It is exactly like the crumb cakes we'd buy from the bakeries in NYC when I was growing up:

NY Style Crumb Cake

However, when I want one quickly and don't have time to fuss, this is my

go-to recipe. I like it because it's small.

Betty Crocker's Prize Coffee Cake

3/4 c sugar

1/4 c shortening  (I use melted butter)

1 egg

1/2 c milk

1 1/2 c flour

2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

In a medium bowl, lightly whisk or sift the dry ingredients.

With a mixer, cream the sugar and shortening.

Add the egg and milk, mix until blended.

Add the dry ingredients and mix only until blended, don't overmix.

Add the batter to a greased baking pan.  I use an 8x8 square.  Maybe it's 9x9.. not really sure.

Top with the streusal mix. I make two or three recipes of this mix and keep it in  the freezer.

Streusal Topping:

mix together to form a crumbly textured topping

1/2 c brown sugar

2 tbs flour

2 tsp cinnamon

2 tbs melted butter

Bake at 375° for 25-35 min

I'm looking forward to reading through this thread for more ideas.

In my opinion, the boards could use an entire section for coffee cake!

~ house cat ~