Valued Contributor

Anyone have a tried and true Carrot cake recipe?

[ Edited ]

If anyone has  Carrot cake recipe  that  is old fashioned type, pinapple ,raisins in it? I know the posters here alway have great things to share,im counting on you ...Thanks for your time.I look forward to your answers.Maryanne 

Valued Contributor

Re: Anyone have a tried and true Carrot cake recipe?

[ Edited ]

We like raisins and coconut but you could easily leave them out.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/8270/sams-famous-carrot-cake/?internalSource=next%20recipe&referringId=...

I should have said I used a basic cream cheese frosting, and doubled it because my husband likes the frosting as much as the cake. He wants a thick layer in the middle.

Contributor

Best Ever Carrot Cake

2 cups all purpose flour

1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

2 teaspoons baking powder

2 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon

1 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 cups vegetable oil

4 eggs

2 cups sugar

3 to 3 1/2 cups raw grated carrots

1 cup chopped walnuts

Mix and pour into 8X8 greased cake pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.

Best Ever Frosting

1/2 cup margarine

8 ounces cream cheese

1 teaspoon vanilla

2 cups sifted confectioners sugar

My go to receipe for years Robot Happy

Frequent Contributor

I have the absolutely best carrot cake recipe ever!  That's saying a lot but I've made it many times and have heard amazing compliments.  It's from a restaurant that use to be in Philadelphia - The Commissary.  And it was famous for their carrot cake!  Steve Poses was the restaurant owner.  The frostings - that's right there are 2 - are amazing.  I usually only make the cream cheese frosting and make the cake as a bundt cake..  The cake is so moist and just so delicious.  if you can't open the link just google Commisary Carrot Cake.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwirnZ6QxvLS...

Respected Contributor

Here is one from King Arthur Flour.  Another from Allrecipes.  Both are good cakes.

King Arthur's Carrot Cake

This much-requested recipe is easily customized to taste. Use any combination of add-ins you like, including raisins or coconut; just keep the total of any (or all) additions to 1 1/2 cups.

Cake

• 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour or King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 3 cups finely grated carrots
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans or walnuts

Frosting

• 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
  • one 8-ounce package cream cheese
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla OR 1/2 teaspoon Fiori di Sicilia
  • 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 cups glazing sugaror confectioners' sugar

Directions

1. To make the cake: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease two 9" round layer pans, or one 9" x 13" pan.
  2. Beat together the oil, sugar, salt, eggs, and spices. Mix the flour with the baking soda, and stir in. Add the carrots and nuts, and mix until just blended. Pour into the prepared pan(s).
  3. Bake the cake(s) for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean, or with a few moist crumbs clinging to it. Allow the cake(s) to cool completely before frosting. If you're using round layer pans, remove the layers from the pans after about 15 minutes, and place them on a rack to cool.
  4. To make the frosting: Beat the butter and cream cheese together until smooth. Add the salt and vanilla. Beat in the sugar. Add a teaspoon of milk or cream if the frosting is too stiff to spread; add additional sugar if it's too thin.
  5. Frost the sheet cake right in the pan. For the layers, frost the top of one layer, top with the second layer, and frost the top and sides of the cake.

Carrot Pineapple Cake I

Ingredients

• 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 3/4 cups white sugar
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 eggs 
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups shredded carrots
  • 1 cup flaked coconut
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
  • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 2 cups confectioners' sugar

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan.
  2. Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Make a well in the center and add sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla. Mix with wooden spoon until smooth. Stir in carrots, coconut, walnuts and pineapple.
  3. Pour into 9x13 inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes. Don't panic, the center will sink a little. Allow to cool.
  4. To make the frosting: Cream the butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add the confectioners sugar and beat until creamy.

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2017 Allrecipes.com 
Printed From Allrecipes.com 2/25/2017

Katie

Esteemed Contributor

This is my bakery Carrot Cake tweaked for home use, with a thinner icing/glaze, which can be substituted with something more substantial.  Enhance looks, if you're up to decorating with orange carrots with green tops.

Carrot Cake

Cake

3c A/P flour

2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp cinnamon

½ tsp salt

1 lb carrots, grated finely

2 stick ssalted butter, softened

1 c brown sugar, packed

1 c cane sugar

4 eggs, room temp

2 Tbs grated lemon peel

2 Tbs grated orange peel

2 Tbs lemon juice

2 Tbs orange juice

1 c coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans

1 c raisins (optional)

Simple Cream-Cheese Glaze

1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese, softened

1 Tbs lemon juice

1 tsp grated lemon peel

1-1/2 c powdered sugar

½ c coarsely chopped walnuts

(This is not the original frosting I used on my bakery cakes, but is much easier to make.)

Lightly grease a 10x4 tube pan or 9x13 pan, placing parchment paper on bottom to fit, followed by flouring surfaces. Sift flour with baking powder, soda, cinnamon and salt.  Set aside.  Wash and pare carrots; finely grate.  Should measure about 4 cups.  Put grated carrots in a bowl and cover with Plastic wrap.   Preheat oven to 350.

In a large bowl of mixer, at high speed beat butter and brown and regular sugars, scrapping sides as needed, until light and fluffy-about 4 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat well after each addition, until smooth and light.

In measuring cup, combine lemon and orange peels and juices. At low speed, beat flour mixture (in 4ths), alternately with lemon-orange mixture (in 3rds), beginning and ending with flour mixture.  Beat just until smooth-about 1 minute.

With a wooden spoon, stir in grated carrot, nuts and raisins; mix well. Turn into the prepared pan and spread evenly.  Bake 60 minutes in middle of oven or until a tooth pick comes out clean.  Cool on rack 20 minutes to cool slightly.

Meanwhile, make cream-cheese glaze. In medium bowl, combine cream cheese, lemon juice, lemon peel and powdered sugar.  With mixer at medium speed, beat mixture until smooth.  Set aside. 

Gently loosen edge of cake with a spatula. Turn out of pan onto rack.  Spread glaze over top of the warm cake, letting it run down the sides of the cake.  Carefully remove cake to a cake platter or plate.  Sprinkle chopped walnut around top edge of cake.  Serves 12.  Keeps well stored in a tightly covered cake tin.

Enjoy!

Valued Contributor

Oh my thanks  so much,  i think i am going to try a few, these  coming weeks, our employees are back for the season  ,so lots of hungry men  to test on!Thanks so much .Happy Spring , and a hug,Maryanne 

Respected Contributor

I use to make it from scratch, but lately I use  a carrot cake box mix, add three cups shredded carrots, small can crushed pineapple, one cup golden raisens, it's as good if not better than scratch 

Respected Contributor

forgot, I also add pecans

New Contributor

I have an amazing Carrot Cake recipe that I found years ago.  I love it because it does NOT have raisins, but you may add them if you wish.

COCONUT CARROT CAKE

(Baker’s coconut)

2 cups unsifted flour               2 ½ tsp baking soda

2 Tbsp cinnamon                     1 tsp salt

1 cup oil                                  2 cups sugar

3 eggs

1 can (8 oz) crushed pineapple, in juice

2 cups grated carrots

1 1/3 cups shredded coconut

¾ cup chopped nuts

Combine flour, soda, cinnamon & salt, set aside.  In mixing bowl, beat oil, sugar and eggs until well blended.  Add flour mixture, beat until smooth.  Blend in remaining ingredients.

Pour into greased & floured 10” tube pan, 13X9” pan or two 9” cake pans.  Bake at 350 degrees.  The tube pan and 13x9” pan will take 50-55 minutes.  The 9” cake pans will take 30-35 minutes.  Whatever sized you use, bake until tester in center comes out clean (it’s a pretty moist cake, so may take longer than times specified).  Cool in pan 10 minutes, remove from pans and completely cool, then frost.

CREAM CHEESE FROSTING

Saute ½ c. coconut in 2 tsp butter until golden, drain on paper towels and set aside.  Cream one (3 oz) pkg cream cheese with ¼ cup butter; add 3 cups sifted powdered sugar alternately with 1Tbsp milk and ½ tsp vanilla.  Beat until smooth.  Frost cake, sprinkle with toasted coconut.

(Note: I usually halve this again for two 9” layers, since you have to frost and fill).