Super Contributor

Anyone have a recipe they like for Tuscan Vinaigrette salad dressing?

[ Edited ]

Shari's here in Washington state serves a green salad with what the server called Tuscan Vinaigrette, said that's all she knew about it.  Anyone know a good recipe?

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone have a recipe they like for Tuscan Vinaigrette salad dressing?

[ Edited ]

It's  probably oil, vinegar and seasonings like salt, pepper and garlic.  Google it; there are many recipes online.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Can you give us hints?  Lots of herbs?  What is the color?  How thick is it?  It is sweet/sour; tart?  

I'll bet on: olive oil and red wine vinegar; maybe a little mustard; herbs; garlic (a lot?); salt and pepper; maybe some lemon juice.  Sweet could be a little sugar or honey.

Honored Contributor

Can you give us hints?  Lots of herbs?  What is the color?  How thick is it?  It is sweet/sour; tart?  

I'll bet on: olive oil and red wine vinegar; maybe a little mustard; herbs; garlic (a lot?); salt and pepper; maybe some lemon juice.  Sweet could be a little sugar or honey.

@pdxlalesley wrote:

Shari's here in Washington state serves a green salad with what the server called Tuscan Vinaigrette, said that's all she knew about it.  Anyone know a good recipe?

Super Contributor

The dressing is served already on the dark greens, not heavy or creamy. Yes it is sweet but not overly so. I could not detect which herbs are in it, I am not a great cook myself and don't have an educated palate.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/158572/nonnas-tuscan-salad-dressing/

and

https://www.mccormick.com/gourmet/recipes/sauces/tuscan-vinaigrette

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Super Contributor

Thanks @RoughDraft , I am laughing because I literally just went to both those sites which you so nicely provided links to!  I will probably dabble around.  I went to Amazon to order for McCormick's Tuscan Blend and it's currently unavailable.  Must be good!  Thanks everyone!

Honored Contributor

I use a basic olive oil, vinegar, and garlic mixture, and to that I add Penzey’s Tuscan Sunset. This is a mixture of basil, oregano,bell pepper,garlic, thyme, fennel, pepper, and anise. It is a salt free mixture, and it makes a delicious dressing.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Valued Contributor

Penzy's has a Tuscan seasoning that I purchase frequently and have used on salads w/oil and vinegar. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you want to try your own, Ina Garten has a good basic recipe.  If you want to add to it or try your own I'd start with oil and vinegar, an Italian herb mix, garlic (fresh crushed, or powder or even salt), a little mustard (maybe a tsp full to start with), good vinegar, salt and pepper, a drop of honey or sugar, and a shot of lemon juice.   Taste and make it as sweet as you like.

If you want it creamy, use some mayo--we all have it in the fridge.

Other possibilities:  orange juice, fig preserves (very Italian!), balsamic vinegar, sherry vinegar, onion, a little heat if you like such as hot sauce.

As a note:  Salads sometimes need a good shot of salt either in the dressing or sprinkled on the greens.  Sometimes, I have NO idea why, it just takes that to get it going.