Respected Contributor

Anyone have a Pennsylvania Dutch Pork and Sauerkraut w/ apples, onions, brown sugar recipe?

[ Edited ]

Does anyone have a tried and true family recipe for this? Would you please post it. I've never made this but I've been wanting to try it. I googled it and there are many variations. I'd like one I can make in the slow cooker. I know it's a German dish that many have on New Year's Day. So far the one I'm looking to try is on iheartyum.com. It has apricot jam, apple butter and wine in it.

http://iheartyum.com/main-course/roast-pork-and-sauerkraut/

Thanks! Starr

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone have a Pennsylvania Dutch Pork and Sauerkraut w/ apples, onions, brown sugar recipe?

This is probably not what you are looking for, but my very German grandmother and mother, and now myself, use this recipe:

Pork + sauerkraut in a dutch oven.  Simmer all day.  Enjoy.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone have a Pennsylvania Dutch Pork and Sauerkraut w/ apples, onions, brown sugar recipe?

we never follow a recipe.....we just throw it all into a crockpot and it cooks low and slow for hours. it has been passed down from other generations. we dont add apples or brown sugar. we sear boneless country spare ribs on the stove, place in crockpot. add sauerkraut, chopped onions,  and lots of freshly ground pepper. we traditionally serve ours during thanksgiving, alongside the turkey. my grandfather loved it on top of mashed potatoes.

other relatives of ours use some type of a bratwurst/sausage in place of the country spare ribs.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Valued Contributor

I like mine done in a pressure cooker vs the crockpot but basically the same as everyone else here.  The only exception is I know use Frank's Bavarian Kraut -- it is sweeter and with caraway which I've always put in my kraut anyway.  I also add a chopped onion.  Served over mashed potatoes.

Valued Contributor

I am not sure from whom or what show I got this recipe but have been making it for years. Our family loves it.

in crock pot in this order

pork tenderloin or boneless pork chops on bottom followed by

jar of sauerkraut can of French onion soup and lastly topped with sliced Granny Smith apples and I have used a cup of bottled  applesauce in place of apple.

Slow cook for 4-6 hrs

Trusted Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

This is probably not what you are looking for, but my very German grandmother and mother, and now myself, use this recipe:

Pork + sauerkraut in a dutch oven.  Simmer all day.  Enjoy.

Same here,  though they like to bake it long and slow.   I like to fancy up the kraut but it really is never better than the basic. 

Honored Contributor

I use pork chops - brown them in fry pan and put them in crockpot. I drain the sauerkraut, add chopped apples, chopped onion and a few caraway seeds.Put it all in the crockpot. Add a little water and cook on high about 4 to 6  hours. Sometimes I also use kielbasa and I add a few hot dogs for just the last half hour.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks everyone for th recipes. I decided to try this one(no apples) hope it's good. It's in the slow cooker now.Smiley Happy

Best Ever Pork Roast and Sauerkraut

Author:
The Kitchen Whisperer
 Find more fantabulous recipes, tips and tricks at www.thekitchenwhisperer.net.
 Ingredients
  • 4 pound pork roast - boneless and at room temperature (this is important!) - this should take about 20-30 minutes from being in the fridge
  • 2 pounds sauerkraut (I do not rinse mine)
  • 1 Tbl caraway seeds *note - you can omit this if you hate caraway seeds but for me it makes the dish
  • 1 cup chopped yellow onion
  • 1/2 cup light brown sugar
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
  • 1 cup water *optional
  • 2 Tbl olive oil
 Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 325F, rack in the middle.
  2. Pat the pork dry and sprinkle the entire roast with salt, pepper and smoked paprika
  3. Heat a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat and add in the olive oil.
  4. When the olive oil starts to simmer carefully place the pork roast in.
  5. Sear on all sides until golden brown - ~5-8 minutes per side.
  6. In a lidded 6qrt Dutch Oven place the sauerkraut all over the bottom.
  7. Sprinkle over the caraway seeds, onions and brown sugar.
  8. Place the seared pork roast on top nestling it in the sauerkraut.
  9. If you’ve drained yours sauerkraut, add the water. If you did not you do not need the water.
  10. Cover tightly with a lid and bake for about 2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 150F.
  11. Remove from the oven.
  12. Carefully remove the roast from the pan and place on a cutting board covering loosely with foil.
  13. Allow to cool for about 15 minutes before slicing.
 Notes
If you want to make this in the crock pot, pan sear the meat following the recipe and in the bottom of a 6qrt crock pot add in the sauerkraut, caraway seeds, onions, brown sugar and pork (water if you drained the kraut). Cover and cook on low for about 8-9 hours.

Nutrition Information
Serving size: serves 6

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

I learned to make kraut and pork from a caterer. First ,you squeeze as much liquid from the kraut as you can. Then you rinse it under a cold tap, and squeeze it again

You put cut up sausage ,or  country pork ribs, in the pot with the kraut and simmer it slowly in water

When it is done , some hrs later, you drain it and throw in a handful of brown sugar ,and mix well

The brine is for curing and not for eating. It is filled with salt, and not good for you

Honored Contributor

Except for the rare occasion when we have hot dogs, I don't make anything with sauerkraut anymore.

I don't care for the vinegar and sour even though I have rinsed it to death.

I use plain, old cabbage in it's place and follow the recipe from there.